Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe Driveline Clunking

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2015, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe Driveline Clunking and Rough Idle

I have a 07 Tahoe LTZ. 4wd. 5.3 litre. Here is the issues I'm having. When shifting back and forth between drive and reverse it is making a clunking noise. It appears to be coming from the driveline. I took a short video and will see if I can post it. Also, when acceleration from a stop I can feel a slight jerk. I'm not sure if these symptoms are connected to the same problem but any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: The jerking actually happens even while already in motion. If I slow down then hit the gas to accelerate it will jump a bit.

Having a second issue as well. After the Tahoe warms up it develops a shaky idle while sitting still in drive or park. The rpm's are not dropping like it's going to stall. But it is a significant shaking, rough idle. One shop checked it out for me. But they didn't even drive it. They hooked up the scanner and since nothing came up they said it was fine and it's just a GM thing. I have had 4 GM's so I know that is bull***. No one paid 60k for this and drove away with a shaky a** truck lol.

Last edited by Kingbigs11; August 5th, 2015 at 7:23 PM.
Old August 5th, 2015, 6:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most common is the drive shaft slip yoke needing lubed. While you are there check your u-joints.
Old August 5th, 2015, 6:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Old August 5th, 2015, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. I updated my original post. So take a look if you don't mind. I was thinking the slip yoke after reading up on other posts, but when it started happening even when driving at higher speeds I was sure. It jumped today on me going 60 on the highway. Hit the gas to pass someone and when it went to shift gears it jumped.
Old August 6th, 2015, 9:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kingbigs11
Thanks guys. I updated my original post. So take a look if you don't mind. I was thinking the slip yoke after reading up on other posts, but when it started happening even when driving at higher speeds I was sure. It jumped today on me going 60 on the highway. Hit the gas to pass someone and when it went to shift gears it jumped.

A bad or non lubed slip yoke will clunk even at speed. When it shifts down it unsettles the suspension and causes the slip yoke to displace out of the worn area.
Its been my experience that if your yoke is that bad it COULD be replaced or, if you lube it, it will slightly reduce the clunking sound.
Old August 7th, 2015, 3:31 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Greasing the slip yoke is a pretty easy and cheap place to start and you have nothing to lose by trying it....

1.Make sure you use a grease that is compatible with the transmission fluid
Here is what GM recommends and can be found on Amazon
Genuine GM Fluid 19257121 High Temperature Special Lubricant

2. Block those back wheels when removing the drive shaft, once the shaft is removed, the back wheels and the front wheels are free to roll....
don't depend solely on the parking brake to hold the vehicle in place...

The next possible item is a broken motor or transmission mount....
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar issue

I believe I am having the same issue with my 2012 Tahoe 37000 miles. I was wondering if while driving between 35 to 50 mph when warmed up you see your rpm shutter or rumble as you accelerate steadily? I really have no idea what s going on but it does not feel right or smooth at at all. Any help or input would be great! Thanks
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tmlankhaar
I believe I am having the same issue with my 2012 Tahoe 37000 miles. I was wondering if while driving between 35 to 50 mph when warmed up you see your rpm shutter or rumble as you accelerate steadily? I really have no idea what s going on but it does not feel right or smooth at at all. Any help or input would be great! Thanks
I do have this same symptom. But mine also happens at a lower speed. When it shift from first to second a get a " studder ". And I have also felt it at 55-60 mph when getting on the gas. I'm not sure if it's the driveshaft/slip yoke causing the shutter or the engine lagging itself. This is my first nnbs Tahoe. I have had 4 of the nbs and I am overall completely unhappy with it. I also have the shaking at idle. I have talked to multiple shops, had it checked twice, and researched online. Apparently these 60k dollar vehicles are supposed to shake and have a rough idle. That is ridiculous. And I won't even get into the lousy excuse for a dashboard.
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The rough idle is normal.
The spider gears and pin are just metal on metal and wear over time causing a significant clunk in the rear.
The mechanical locking differential will cause a clunk.