Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

07 Tahoe HID Fog Lights Installation with pics

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2007, 11:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 Tahoe HID Fog Lights Installation with pics

How much did it run
Old October 29th, 2007, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys...be careful with HID lights in the fogs. I noticed that I melted the chrome housing and lens on my 07. I believe the housing is too small for the amount of heat produced my the HID bulb. While HID bulbs burn at cooler temps than normal halogen headlight bulbs, the factory bulb in the Tahoe fog is a low wattage bulb.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

I just did my fog light conversion today on my 2008 Tahoeusing a 880/881 HID kit...Like n77nxc said I am VERY concerned because it seemed as if the fog light lenses got super hot. Problem I noticed is that the HID bulb tip is only about 1/4 inch from the inside of the lens. MattWeed's instructions are fantastic. It took me only 20 minutes to do both fogs. Now my headlights, high beams and fogs are all 8000K HID!!! Looks awesome!!!! Someguy in a Yukon even stopped me at the gas station and asked if it was an option from GM on 2008's....when I told him that I did it he wanted to do the same. BTW, you can get some quality kits on eBay right now for about $70-80! Prices have really dropped on these kits...I used the same seller's kits on my 2002 Acura MDX 3 years ago and they are still running strong. I even changed the daytime runningbulb to a 32-element LED bulb (canget them too on eBay for about $9). It gives the daytime running lights more of a HID look. The HIDs in the headlights seem fine, but I hope I didn't do all the work on the fogs for nothing...hate to be afraid to turn them on. Anyone try HIDs in the fog lights for an extended period and not experience any lens/housing melting?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Also wondering if there is any problem with the auto on? Do they need time to warm up? There are different stories out there about the HID not working properly, one comes on and the other doesn't, takes time to heat up then work. Need the one that works the best w/o any problems, just like it was stock.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

On the headlights I have had no problems at all with auto on lights with my HID kit. Start right up....if you get the higher grade HID kits they needno time atall to warm up....lightsfire right up. I ran the HID Fog Lights tonight for about 5 minutes....HUGE difference in visibility, God I need to find a way to get the HID Fog lights to work on my Tahoe without melting the housing!! I am going to look into glass lense/metal housing replacement fog lights. I have also upgraded the High Beams to HID and replaced the day time running bulbs using a high intensity LED element bulb. Got it all on eBay. The HID kits were a great deal at $75/kit (that is shipping and all) and the LED bulb to replace the daytime lights were about $9. The guy on eBay selling the HID kits is japanimportshop out of California. He has over 2,000 transactions all with 100% positve and super fast shipping. I live in Ohio and ordered my kit from themlast Wed and had them by Fri.
Old November 4th, 2007, 9:36 AM
CF Active Member

Steeler,

What brand are they? Can u send some pics? Also are you worried about the fog lights burning and would it be better to just get the full set in glass. Are you having any problems with the headlight heating up or melting the housing.
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

Steeler, what bulb is the high beam, and what LED's fit the DRL's?
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys:

Here is some info on the HIDs for the 2007-2008 Tahoe. For the headlights you will need the H11 bulb kit. The high beams are 9005 and the Fog Lights are H880/881. I went with 8000K on all three...I'd stick with 6000K which is more white to 8000K which has a nice bluish tint....going 10000K or higher and the look is too purple. On thedaytime running lights, I replaced the stock bulb with a 18 element LED bulb....got it on eBay for$19. The seller was "vleds". You will need bulb 3156/3157. As far as brand, I am not sure, but I got them all from the same eBay seller "japanimportshop" 2000+ sales and 100% postive feedback. I am in Ohio and they are in Calif. I can tell you I bid on Wed. and by Fri. I had my order....they have been good to work with do far and the kits seem to be high quality. I got lucky and got mine for about $79 (that is with shipping and all).

I still haven't taken out the HIDs in the fog lights. I havn't had to run them and when I do I shut them off after a few minutes...I would be interested in getting glass replacement fog lights...anyone have any suggestions?

I will take a few pics and post them. I've had my 2008 Tahoe for only 3 weeks and I literally have had guys driving a Tahoe/Yukon wave me down at traffic lights or at gas stations and ask me about the lights....they thought it was avail. on 2008. HELL OF A DIFFERENCE once you get used to driving with HID and then go to traditional lighting....I upgraded my Tahoe the same day I took it home off the lot.
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

NO problem with the headlights at all....there is enough space in the headlights to avoid overheating. With the fog lights, the bulb is less than 1/4" from the plastic lens.
Old April 29th, 2008, 4:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could buy a spacer that gives you around 1/2" and is the same diameter of the bulb hole. If all of it holds with silicon or tie wraps, it does not matter...

Quick Reply: 07 Tahoe HID Fog Lights Installation with pics