Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2006, 3:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION

I know this has been covered in multiple forums, at different times. But I need to make sure i am clear on this.

I have a 2007 tahoe LT2 with Rear dvd and the normal cd player. I think I am going to purchase the GM navigation unit. I will have to get the 2.0 version disk, and an antenna, and have Tech 2 ran. IS THIS CORRECT?

Now, if I get all the above, what do I need to do to have the back up camera? I dont believe there is any box under the front passenger seat. I think i am looknig for a silver one of some sort? i think the only box under the seat is near the door side of the seat and it is big and black? So is the camera option out if I dont have the little box? How much more trouble and money if I dont? thanks guys.
Old October 13th, 2006, 4:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION

So far you are correct.
You will need to install the rear camera control module under the pax seat and also you will need the wiring harness from the camera to the module and the module to the head unit (nav/stereo) and then you will also need the rear camera feature enabled via Tech2, this may prove to be way more hassle and expense than it is worth.
Old October 13th, 2006, 6:26 PM
CF Addict

I think I have this figured out with the exception of the wiring from the camera, to the module, to the HU.

Where and what part numbers amd I looking for the wiring? Could the module then be placed behind the HU or maybe in the rear hatch door?
Old October 13th, 2006, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just purchase the unit(s) and use your own wiring.

The camera from gmpartsdirect is $181 and the module under the seat is $38. Don't make the mistake I did and purchase the items from a local Dealership. I paid just under $300 just for the camera from the dealership. I also couldn't get the camera to work but we were attempting to wire it into a Kenwood without that module under the seat. I instead just purchased a Kenwood camera which is coming today.
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
CF Addict

There isnt wiring that is standard for the module? It doesnt requre wiring with special adaptors or plugs?
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: biglg

I think I have this figured out with the exception of the wiring from the camera, to the module, to the HU.

Where and what part numbers amd I looking for the wiring? Could the module then be placed behind the HU or maybe in the rear hatch door?
Anyone know if this is possible, and the part numbers for all?
Old November 16th, 2006, 3:37 PM
CF Addict

Still waiting to hear on the wiring as well. I have never seen this so I dont know. i would think the module and camera would require a special harness and wires. Dont know though. Can anyone tell us what we need besides the module and camera?
Old November 16th, 2006, 9:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been researching the wiring question as well; went to two dealerships and neither parts dept can give me a part # for the harnesses. Even tried grabbing the VIN off a LTZ in the lot with the factory option to no avail - was told multiple harnesses were shown and they could not tell which was correct. IN any event, was told it would be very pricy & of course I would void my warranty, GM really does not want owners making changes to the 07's. But, re: the rear camera the following may be of interest:

Old November 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
CF Addict

Where did you get your navigation unit? How much?

Please let us know if the kenwood camera is simple plug and play! Thanks for the info and good luck.
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Kenwood camera - wife's going to get it for me for Christmas, so I'll post results shortly thereafter.

Quick Reply: 07 TAHOE REAR CAMERA QUESTION