Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 Sub Running Board Width?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2008, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sub Running Board Width?

Hello,

I have an 08 Z71 Suburban with the standard running boards. I would like to scoot them out one inch wider than the current mount. I dont use them as weight bearing but more to keep back the "door dings."

The problem with the current width is that they are recessed enough for other doors to hit my doors. My F150 (sorry..at least I sold it for a Chevy) had step bars that gave just enough width to prevent the dings.

I looked at the bolts and how it is set up. Removal would be easy but Id like not to have to buy a completely different board. My thought was to fabricate an aluminum plate the length of the board 3 inches wide and .125 inches thick. This could be mounted to the existing mounts on the truck and the board could then be remounted to the plate but an inch wider.

What do you think?

Thanks,

JB
Old February 5th, 2008, 9:57 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 08 Sub Running Board Width?

Seems to me that no matter how far the running boards are extended, it's only going to protect you from some doors, if any. Some doors are bowed out toward the top, so theupper part of the door can hit you before the bottom of the door contactsyour running board. And if it's another truckbeside you, the door bottom will clear your running boards anyway.