Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 Tahoe freaked out

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2014, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Tahoe freaked out

Drove home fine from work, tried to start if 2 hours later and it freaked out.

By that I mean it continues to crank about 5 seconds or so after I stopped cranking, engine started but then putters out and dies within 20 seconds. Feels/sounds like it is not getting fuel. Lights are flickering the whole time. (possibly a side symptom from the engine struggling/overcranking.

Seems electrical to me. tried unhooking the battery but that did not help. I am getting a P069E code (fuel pump control module code). Should I try to swap out a control module tomorrow? cost? difficulty?

Any help/advice is much appreciated. I will continue to search the forum for answers.

Thanks,
Dan
Old March 6th, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Junior Member

It could be the fuel pump. Cost me around $1K a couple years ago for the dealer to do it.
Old March 7th, 2014, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine freaked out one day in the driveway. It was -15 and I had less than a 1/4 tank of gas. After three-four tries of cranking and all the lights going crazy, I heard a noise in the rear, probably the fuel pump...then it started and ran fine. I have since taken it on trips and it's been cold, but no errors.

Googling tells me its the fuel pressure sensor or the Control module for the fuel pump.
Old March 7th, 2014, 3:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM) - GM Techlink
Old March 7th, 2014, 3:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has run-on starter control. Meaning you have no control over the starter until the 1st attempt has failed. You just turn to start and let go and the starter will run on till the motor runs. After it failed the first time do you then have control over the starter...
Old March 7th, 2014, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, thanks for the advice so far. Here is an update.

About two hours after the car freaked out last night. I tried starting it again and bingo, started up fine. Again this morning it started up fine and I made it to work. Tried to start it at lunch time and no dice. Now it wont start at all. I tried a bunch of times with same results.

As a last resort I beat the tank with a rubber mallet and it fired right up again. started and stopped it a few times and it is fine. I am guessing this points even more to a bad fuel pump. I was hoping it was just a bad fuel flow module.

Called a bunch of places and it looks like it will cast me from $750-$1000 to have the fuel pump replaced. I want to do it myself and just the part will cost about $500.

Question: How do I know which fuel pump to order? Some places (dealer and reputable shops) said that there are 3 different pumps for my model and year depending on the motor. Other places (autozone, internet) gave me a price just using my model and year. I am worried that I would not get the correct pump through autozone, but it is cheaper. Is there a way to get the exact pump part number so I can try to find it cheaper online?

Interesting side note: One dealer I talked to said he had never ordered that pump and because so was skeptical that that was the issue. He suggested checking the fuel pump relay. I looked it up in manual and checked the fuel pump relay and fuse and both are missing. Weird. Why are they not there?

Sorry for the novel...

Edit: Joe in NY - never have control of starter even after failure.

Also, any input on how difficult it is to swap out a fuel pump?

Last edited by Danny C; March 7th, 2014 at 8:32 PM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 4:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rock auto usually has a list of good parts and hearts next to the customer favorites. Also FYI the fuel filter is part of the pump as I understand it. And as far as the job goes. You may have to drop the fuel tank to get to it. But I'm not 100% on that
Old March 8th, 2014, 4:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New Genuine OE Delphi FG0815 Fuel Pump Module Flex Fuel GM Part | eBay

Update found fuel pumps for under $200. Just have to search figured 500 was too steep

That's one thing I like about these trucks. Parts arent too expensive
Old March 8th, 2014, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Wow, thanks Trainwreck. Definitely much cheaper. I guess my question would be how do I know exactly what model number pump to get. As I said before, when calling around for parts, more than one person said they needed my serial number because there are several pumps for tahoes I you need to select the correct one or it will not work properly. I actually have a coworker who told me the exact story of replacing a pump in his Tahoe and it was the wrong one. Had to replace again in a month or so. Is there a part registry out there that I can search my vin number or something.

I am a pretty handy person and tend to fix everything myself. This does not sound that difficult from what I gather, just the idea of dropping the tank has me a little hesitant.

Lastly, what is the consensus. Can I drive it until I can get the part in or should I let it sit? I guess there is always a chance it will die while running. Stay in the left lane and carry around a rubber mallet?

-Thanks

Last edited by Danny C; March 8th, 2014 at 8:50 AM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 9:09 AM
CF Junior Member

The tank will have to be dropped. I remember the guys at the dealership complaining to us when we went to pick it up after they replaced our fuel pump. We had just filled it up when the pump went out and they said gas went everywhere when they dropped it.

Quick Reply: 08 Tahoe freaked out