Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 TahoeNav and Backup Camera Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 TahoeNav and Backup Camera Questions

howdy!

I have been reading this forum for the past 4 days trying to get some ideas on how to install a oem Nav and backup camera into my wife's 08 tahoe. It is a 1lt with out bose but has everything else. After reading many many pages from everyoneI wanted to post and see ifIhave come up with the right idea!

I know i need to get a 08 nav unit and will need to purchas the oem camera (well i guess not the oem but i need a camera). After this it get a little fuzzy. I saw lots of people talking about the lockpick and the JPcustoms harness. I am thinking that i will get the GMX320 lockpick. Do i still need the JPcustoms harness? What about the voice rec. Hows does that tie in? Or in a 08 does it just work?

Thanks for the help and any suggestions are welcome!!
Old March 24th, 2008, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 08 TahoeNav and Backup Camera Questions

I made up a couple of my install documents some time ago on how I did mine. I will post the links here but you are on your own installing these. These docs are what I did and your situation may be different, so use these as a guide and ask for help in the forums if something goes wrong!

Kenwood camera install - http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egenesto...ra_install.doc
Nav unit install - http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egenestoy/kenwood/nav.doc
Old March 24th, 2008, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Gene,
Thanks for the doc's they helped a ton!!Couple questions for you. What JP harness did you buy? I see one for a nav kit is that the one? Also why do you need to hook wires between the onstar box and the Nav unit?

Thanks!!
Old March 24th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the JP kit - http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...359&page=1
looks like they may have changed it a bit from when I got mine, but same price. The connection to the Onstar box has something to do with the voice recognition I think which works perfect in mine. Be sure to ask JP about hooking to the Onstar box as I heard they are not including that connector wiring?
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Ok soI thinkI have everything figured out except nowI talked to someone at JP Customs and they informed me that the NAV radio will not power my speakers sinceI am a non bose tahoe. He said thatI will need to add a amp to the mix with a adapter they supply to get enought power to my speakers. Does this sound correct to people? If so has anyone done this and had sucess with any amp? I am thinking a 4ch 40watt amp should work well. Does anyone have any other suggestions.