Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 White Diamond paint very dull???

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2009, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 White Diamond paint very dull???

I specifically bought a White Diamond 09 Tahoe because I love the color. I noticed right after I bought it that the paint is very dull and full of orange peel. My last car was an Infiniti FX45 about the same color and it was slick as glass. A paint guy I know said that that was a common thing because of the 3 stage process used to create the color is put on so thick it dries out. My biggest problem is that I dont want my brand new truck wet sanded and compounded by some guy that is going to sling compound everywhere and sand the clear coat thin. Anyone else had this problem and suggestions on how to handle this?
Old November 28th, 2009, 6:53 PM
CF Junior Member

have you talked to the dealer to see what they say?
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that it is a common issue with orange peel with the new chevy's
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
CF Junior Member

havent had this issue
Old November 29th, 2009, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Press
have you talked to the dealer to see what they say?
I'm looking for feedback on this before I approach them on this. Like I said I'm not keen on having my brand new vehicle buffed or wet sanded by someone I dont know. Also I believe this problem is limited to vehicles with the 3 stage paint system (pearl colors).
Old November 29th, 2009, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by i1again
I'm looking for feedback on this before I approach them on this. Like I said I'm not keen on having my brand new vehicle buffed or wet sanded by someone I dont know. Also I believe this problem is limited to vehicles with the 3 stage paint system (pearl colors).
how about going to a detail shop and seeing what they tell you....dont know how much feedback you're going to get about dull paint from this board....i'd bring it in to the dealer sooner than later and tell them what the issue is, ask them what they're prepared to do to satisfy you. if you dont want the car wet sanded or buffed than tell them that. do some more searching on the interweb, i know a few people that own white tahoes and they dont have this issue.
Old November 29th, 2009, 9:20 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Orange peel on most US cars is a no-cost option. Buffing will not remove it. It will have to be color sanded and buffed.

Look at some other White Diamond trucks and see if they are as bad. Eskys are built on the same line and there's more of them w/ that color than our lowly Hoes.
Old February 28th, 2010, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Old post, but I thought I would add my two cents.

I just bought an 08 white diamond and asked the dealer about any recalls. He said there were non for my Tahoe, but that there was a note in the computer that they are aware of orange peal and complaints of dull paint with the white diamond. They to this point have not issued a recall and will do nothing about it. And with the expense of repaints, I seriously doubt they will issue a recall for this complaint.

Mine has orange peal, but I am not dissatisfied with the brightness of the paint.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Hi there..

My new truck 2010 white diamond also got the same problem, the paint is dull..

Maybe good waxing will fix it..
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I doubt it. If it's the clear coat, then buffing w/ something like 3M PerfectIt will help. If in the base coat, nothing will help.

Saw several at the KC Int'l Car Show last week and they all looked good. Since you paid extra for it, I'd pitch a bitch 'til it was rectified or they took the truck back.