Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1991 Suburban outlives 2000 Accord

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Suburban outlives 2000 Accord

Just yesterday I got my suburban back on the road after 5 years of sitting on a lot hardly getting any attention. Grand ma gave me the honda with 40,000 miles on it and I decided to settle for the sedan and give the 4x4 a break. 60,000 miles later the 2nd transmission gave out and I decided to see if the Suburban still had some life before I went shopping for a new car. The burb's odometer quit at 270,752 miles (about 6 months before I actually quit driving it back in 2006). Occasionally I would take the jumper cables out to the field and start her up probably once a year on average. For the 3 years I drove the suburban, starting in high school and ending in college, she never let me down, even when we thought it was funny to throw it in 4 wheel drive and chirp around the parking lot, it still wouldn't die. After 13 months of sitting I decided to see if it would start so I took the jumper cables out to the field and turned the key, after 3 revolutions, she came to life at high idle, old gas and all.

About three months ago I changed the oil and went up to the station to get some fuel but lost all power a quarter mile down the road, pulled it back to the lot and research led me to conclude the fuel pump had gone out since replacing the in-line filter did nothing. It would idle very rough and only stay running with taps on the gas pedal. I replaced the OEM pump with a Bosch unit and she came right back to life. Turns out, the ethanol in the fuel rotted the rubber hose in the tank. So a 2 inch long 1/4in rubber hose caused me to drop the 40 gallon tank (after unbolting the skid plate which is a pain with the receiver hitch installed).

Major Maintenance:
Transmission rebuilt after about 150,000 miles
Paint exterior original grey about 175,000 miles (never garaged)
Heater core replaced about 200,000 miles
Muffler replaced at about 200,000 miles

Actual mileage is pushing 280,000 miles and I'm able to take the burb from a lot where I would occasionally drive it just to get her moving, to taking it up the road then 50 miles down the interstate to the city where I live and show up to work on monday.

I will say that the idle is a little lower than normal now when I'm at a stop light but I'll look at the throttle body this weekend to see whats causing that.

My point: Longevity of the L05 is second to none.