Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1992 K1500 4WD Suburban needs medical attention

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 K1500 4WD Suburban needs medical attention

Hello,

I'm new here so I'll just jump right in...

I recently bought a 1992 K1500 4WD Suburban from a private party. The only problems they told me the truck had was a dead battery and no AC. I looked it over as best I could and did a admittedly mild test drive that turned up no problems. I got a new battery for it, and as I drove it home, the SES light came on and the speedometer went out. Awesome.

I also noticed that the ABS wires were all unplugged from the ECBM. When I plugged them in and drove, the ABS warning light came on and stayed on. Even better...

Put a new VSS and ECM in. No change, but the new ECM did provide a host of DTCs to work through, 90% of them having to do with the ABS system. No speed sensor input on either front wheel, erratic rear speed sensor, pump relay out or open, brake switch DTC,...

In short: no/erratic speedometer, shifting gears as speedometer tries to catch up, vss problem, front ABS sensor problem, rear ABS sensor problem, ABS pump motor relay problem, brake switch problem, ABS warning light short (had its own DTC), multiple wiring connectors disconnected with no clear home for any of them, as far as this rookie can tell.

SO...here is my question. Am I better off taking this thing to a dealer or a small independent shop to have the wiring looked at and/or fixed? There are multiple plugs under the lower dash beneath the steering wheel that are unplugged, as well as a couple over near the AC evaporator. It's just a friggin mess and waaay above my skill level. I don't have Breaking Bad money lying around for repairs, but I really think a wiring overhaul is in order. Thoughts from the experts, please?

Last edited by blackeagle; March 3rd, 2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

As soon as the SES light went on and the speedo went out, you should have turned around and demanded your money back.

Sounds like the previous owner gutted the ABS sytem, and possibly some others. I think you have to seriously assess if you want to throw more good money after bad. You're probably looking at several hours of diagnosing and troubleshooting, at a minimum. I'm sorry I don't have any technical advice to offer. We are talking about a 23 year-old truck.
Old March 4th, 2016, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

I bought it for $1,350, with the intent of just using it for hunting and camping trips and not as a daily driver. I went in with the understanding that I'd have to do some work on it to get it to as good of shape as possible, and the engine is strong, but this wiring/ABS issue is starting to become a rabbit hole.

What do you think is my best option if I choose not to try and learn/figure this out myself...local garage or dealer?
Old April 23rd, 2016, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

NEWS: I replaced some fuses and changed a bad CV axle/boot, and the truck drove beautifully, speedometer and all---for about ten minutes. My wife had cleaned the front speed sensor till it shined and I had replaced it thinking it was good. I'm still getting the front speed sensor code and also now a rear left abs wheel speed sensor code.

Does anyone know where the left rear speed sensor is? With the wheel off, I can't really see any wires or connectors going to the wheel like I could with the front. I can't find any info online. The 92 electrical service manual says there are two separate connectors for each rear wheel, but they seem to be hard to find.

I could really use any advice. I'm trying hard to get this thing in working order. Thank you very much.