Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1994 - OBD-1 code 22 Throttle position sensor error (signal low)

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 - OBD-1 code 22 Throttle position sensor error (signal low)

So I have the 5.7 in the Suburban.

When the engine is cool, the vehicle run just fine. However after operating temperature has been reached, and the vehicle is shut off, and sits for about 10 minutes, this is when I get the code, after restarting.

From that point on, the engine operates at higher RPMs, and going from Park to Drive, the transmission violently jerks, wanting to make the vehicle go forward, and exhaust fumes are more noticeable (less complete burn of fuel?).

Before I do this, I am wondering if maybe it is time for the Throttle Position Sensor to be changed, or something else? Maybe faulty wiring causing a bad ground? If so , since there are a LOT of wires, hints on where to look?

Thanks!

Last edited by KNERD; August 10th, 2016 at 2:31 PM.
Old August 10th, 2016, 2:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd consider replacing it.
Old August 10th, 2016, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion,

I am starting to think it is a grounding issue. Yesterday afternoon, I replaced the terminal which grounds two copper wires to the hose connector where the coolant exits the engine at top (where the thermostat is located).
I broke the terminal while replacing the thermostat for good measure. I saw the terminal was copper, so I figure it must be important. I ran down to the auto parts store, and found some gold plated terminals. Since then, the engine light comes on less. While it did come on today, it later went out. After more driving, I watched it flash on, and off a few times, then has stayed off since. Maybe I had better check the crimp on the terminal again.

Though, this could be just a coincidence?
Old August 10th, 2016, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by KNERD
Thanks for the suggestion,

I am starting to think it is a grounding issue. Yesterday afternoon, I replaced the terminal which grounds two copper wires to the hose connector where the coolant exits the engine at top (where the thermostat is located).
I broke the terminal while replacing the thermostat for good measure. I saw the terminal was copper, so I figure it must be important. I ran down to the auto parts store, and found some gold plated terminals. Since then, the engine light comes on less. While it did come on today, it later went out. After more driving, I watched it flash on, and off a few times, then has stayed off since. Maybe I had better check the crimp on the terminal again.

Though, this could be just a coincidence?
Yes, grounds are a real issue with automotive issues
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Still doing it after all this doing, but much less, and will stop doing it.

Looks like I may need to start looking at looking more ground points. Even the voltage indicator acts like a metronome when I turn on one of the turn signals.

Anyone know where I can see a wiring guide to locate all the grounding spots?

Thanks for the reply.