Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
View Poll Results: What do y’all think it could be?
Fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel pump ground?
0%
Battery?
0%
Throttle body?
0%
Crank shaft positioning sensor?
0%
Ignition control module?
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

1995 Suburban 1500 surging idle & engine dies in drive or coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2021, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Suburban 1500 surging idle & engine dies in drive or coming to a stop

Help, i don’t know what’s going on. These issues started occurring last Friday, we cleaned the carburetor and got a new air filter for the carb, it was fine after doing that up until yesterday. Yesterday I drove it to work at 545 am, was fine, left the first job to go home and change, ran inside left it running was maybe only inside for 5 mins it was parked in my driveway, I hear it die. So I grab the keys let it sit for ab another 10 mins, then had to leave for my next job. Tried starting it it would shake violently drop down below 1000 rpm’s and lose all engine power. Did that about the first 4 times trying to start it. When I finally got it started it had a really bad surging idle in park, but when I would put it into gear, it would drop down to almost 0 rmps then rise back up and doesn’t get up to speed. The brakes feel right when it does this, so does the gas pedal. So yesterday after I finally got it started I figured it could possibly be that the fuel pump is clogged so I went and got some high mileage sea foam, the suburban has 260k, dumped that in cuz I was basically empty on gas, filled her completely up. Still wasn’t any better. Felt a little worse even. Had to drive it tho, so I drove it maybe another 5 mins up the road to my second job, I had to go up a hill, it wouldn’t hardly even go to 30mph. Had to put it in neutral at the stop light. After the first hill I had a second one, when I was going up the second hill tho, all my gauges jumped for like 3 seconds, the engine ran like normal when that happened, went back to running like crap, then it jumped again was normal, then went back to running like crap, and the last time it jumped it ran fine the rest the ride to work & on my way home. Today I drove it fine to work it was running normal at 11 am and drove it home at 4pm was running normal. Had to run to the store maybe 20 mins after I got home and shut it off. Instantly started having the surging idle again, and when I put it into drive it dramatically dropped in rpm’s & would barely reach 25 mph. I was at a stop light and it was in neutral and it died, then when I got into the parking lot I was behind a car and they slowed down so I lightly braked & it lost all engine power while moving, had to get it to stop shut all power off & restarted it. Drove it home from the store 5 mins down the road and it tried dying on me another 2 times on the way home. It is straight piped, it doesn’t have cats or an o2 sensor. C1500 suburban 5.7L Please any tips would help we’re trying to diagnose it but it’s my daily car so can’t have it down for too long. We don’t have another. I’d appreciate any and all help.

Last edited by 1995suburb; November 18th, 2021 at 5:30 PM.
Old November 18th, 2021, 6:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 220 Likes on 194 Posts

Did you clean the throttle body & change air filter because this was happening, or did it start up after doing the work? When was the last time fuel filter was changed??
BTW welcome to Chevy? Good job of posting a detailed description for us
The following users liked this post:
1995suburb (November 18th, 2021)
Old November 18th, 2021, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes we did clean the throttle body & change the air filter due to it first acting up last Friday. We have a new fuel filter and I’m getting that put in Saturday, didn’t have the right tools at home so have to go to a family members to do so.