Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1996 Sub starting issues

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2014, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Sub starting issues

So, I will apologize if there is a thread already about this, as I couldn't find it by searching for it.
But off to the problem.

I bought this truck used from a buddy of mine and it ran great (not hot or cold or anything) for a few months. Then I started having issues with it turning over. I would have to try the key a few times and give it gas before it would finally start up. After 3 months of doing this every time I wanted to drive her, it finally didn't start anymore.
I replaced the alternator, starter, spark plugs and wires, battery, fuel pump relay, dropped the gas tank and checked the fuel pump and connections (all checked out fine) among other things (tires, shocks and such).
I filled the fluids back up and tried again.
Still nothing.
I have seen a few different issues that it could be to include the crankshaft position sensor and others, but I am hoping for an accurate 100% answer if possible. I am able to do just about anything I need to other than dropping the motor, so not much is out of reach.
If anyone has any opinions, please let me know.
I will get this truck running again.
It is my pride and joy.

Thanks,
Michael
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 360 Likes on 341 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. The fuel pump may look good, but that doesn't mean it is functioning properly. Your symptoms sound like it is fuel related. Also replace the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure regulator.