Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 K1500 Vibration when pressing on gas

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2015 | 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 1997 K1500 Vibration when pressing on gas

Hello all,

As the title says, my 1997 K1500 Suburban is experiencing a vibration from 45-60MPH when I am pressing on the gas pedal. When I am coasting, the vibration disappeared. I changed the transmission mount to no avail. The rear u joints "feel" tight, but they do appear to be original and have 214k miles under their belts. Would it be a good idea to have the u joints changed in the rear to see if it helps? I would prefer to not throw money at the truck hoping something will fix it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2015 | 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

i can,t recall but does your truck have a two peice driveshaft,if so it could be a bad hanger bearing.if it doesnt look at the u joints closely and check for rust stains,this would indicate the u joint is seizing up and on its way out.did you remove the drive shaft completely and physically check the u joints by hand for stiffness or looseness.you didn,t say whether your truck is two wheel or fourwheel drive.check the bushing in the tail stock of your tranny where the drive shaft goes.grab the shaft and try to move it up and down and side to side.its hard to diagnoss with out looking at it.hope this gives you some ideas.