Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 Chevy Suburban Engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Suburban Engine trouble

So i just bought a 98 suburban this weekend and the guy said it has set up for a year and needs crank kit. Haven't found crank kit but crankshaft assembly. He said it was run out of oil. So i get it home and put battery in it and it cranks fine. Runs a little rough but after sitting a year what wouldn't. It doesn't make any noises from the engine either. Would it be making noise if it needed crankshaft???
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Michael0641
So i just bought a 98 suburban this weekend and the guy said it has set up for a year and needs crank kit. Haven't found crank kit but crankshaft assembly. He said it was run out of oil. So i get it home and put battery in it and it cranks fine. Runs a little rough but after sitting a year what wouldn't. It doesn't make any noises from the engine either. Would it be making noise if it needed crankshaft???

If it ran out of oil, normally it would have a knocking or rattling sound. Did he put oil in it or you ? Wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel in the sunlight and see if it has any sparkle in it such as metal particles.
How much oil pressure does it have both COLD & WARM ? Should be close to the middle of the dash gauge. Good luck.
David g.

Last edited by justimagination; July 17th, 2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 20th, 2015, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

He didn't put any oil in it when i got it but i did check it when i got home and it was above the low level mark and looked to be very new oil. There's no shiny anything in the oil either and no noises at all. Runs rough but i took the intake off this weekend and it needs a good cleaning. Going to replace plugs, wires, and fuel filter and see what she does. He asked this weekend if i cranked it and heard the motor. i said yes and doesn't make any noises but he still says it needs a crank kit.
Old July 20th, 2015, 8:16 PM
CF Active Member

Be sure and check the oil pressure when you start it, very important.
David g.
Old July 20th, 2015, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

I did check the guage and it read above halfway.