Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 Suburban Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Suburban Questions

New user on the forums and new owner of a 1998 Suburban. This seems to be the go to site for questions so here I am.

I think I scored well with this purchase as I picked up a bright red, one owner 1500 LS 4x4 with almost new tires, excellent body (9/10) that needs a little TLC on the interior (5/10). No rips, cloth seats but a little dirty and lots of scuffs from original owner who used the "truck" to haul a lot of construction materials. Everything works including ice cold AC and not a spot of rust on the paint.

Purchased truck for 1400 as the owner just bought a new one AND another pickup so had no need for it. I have seen these in my area with high miles going to 2800-4000.

Anyway on to my question. The Sub has 249k miles on the clock, definitely has an exhaust leak and an ever so slight miss in it. You can really only notice the miss when its idling as it surges a little but it has that distinct fluttering sound of a loss of power. The miss never leads to a stall and the sub runs out fine on highway. Drove it home 70 miles and had no issues, oil pressure seems good, no temp issues and drove nicely at 70-80MPH. Brakes are pretty soft which I hear is common and the steering not as tight as I would like.

Given the great condition of body and price I paid I am good with throwing a little money at it with new control arms, breaks and exhaust but not sure where to start with the miss... there is no MIL but I plan to throw my code reader on it just in case there are pending codes or the MIL light is out.

Where would you start with the miss? Original owner is convinced it just needs a tune up, I suspect some combination of bad sensors (O2, cam) and a maybe a dist gear issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance I hope to be a regular contributor!

Last edited by chargerrich; May 23rd, 2013 at 8:09 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 6:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with a good tune up all AC/DELCO stuff thses trucks seem to hate after market stuff.They had problems with the original spider injector there is an upgrade you can get it from rock auto,amazon and parts geek.If the distributor gear is worn i would just upgrade the ditributor to one of the aluminum ones on ebay,to set the timing on these engines you need a scanner that reads cam retard (tech 2,Autoxray 6000 and some of the older snap-ons)plus having a scanner that reads real time data is a must when trying to trouble shoot stuff on these engines.Do you have any maintence records/history on the truck?