Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 3 days under the hood and out of Ideas

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 3 days under the hood and out of Ideas

Hey there everyone. I've got a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe that I Just can't get the timing right on. I lined up the timing mark on the Harmonic Balancer, I Also stuck a piece of paper into the Spark Plug hole and waited for it to pop out to make sure it was the compression stroke. Then I Lined up the rotor button so that when i dropped the distributor down it was lined up with the number 1 cylinder on the cap. To double check this i made sure it was pointing at the little 8 on the base of the distributor in the corner. Then to double double check, I brought the Harmonic Balancer back around to the timing mark TWICE more and each time it was pointing at the same marks on the base of the distributor. Then I reassembled everything. Started the vehicle, put it on the Genesis scan tool, and it showed -22 out on the Camshaft Retard. So I corrected it to 0 and I had to twist the distributor so far Counter-clockwise that it was maxed out on turning. The cylinders 5 & 7 started misfiring. Well i figured I was a tooth out, well no matter if i went forward or back a tooth i could never seem to get it that close. So back on top dead center and same problem.

As of currently it's running at -18 out because that's the closest i can get it before it starts to crossfire between the 5 & 7. So either i run correct timing and crossfire 5 & 7 or i have to run it -18 out. Any ideas on what is going on with it? Could it be the timing chain? The Coil? or does it have something to do with the gremlin i should have shot last year?