Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban Fuel Pump Issues and Tech info?

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2012, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1999 Suburban Fuel Pump Issues and Tech info?

Hi, I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban 5.7L and im on the 4th fuel pump in 2 years. The last one I ran all new wiring, new tank, new lines, new filter and a Delphi Pump, plus I do not run it pass the half way mark. The last one lasted less than 10,000 miles. So... Now im done with all the frustration and am going to install an aftermarket pump on the firewall. I found some nice pumps but I need to know the LPH the this system requires, does anyone know? Also does anyone know if I leave the old pump in the tank and tap the line will that work? Thanks for any help, Matt
Old March 23rd, 2012, 4:00 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I am not sure of the volume or Liters Per Hour but the system as it is has a return line and any excess should be sent back to the tank. you'll want something that will maintain at least 60psi but should not exceed 75psi

I saw nothing in the manual relating to volume or flow rate just pressure...
Let us know how your project comes out...

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Wrap a shop towel around the fuel pressure connection to absorb any small amount of fuel leakage that may occur when installing the fuel pressure gauge. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF, the fuel pressure should be 415-455 kPa (60-66 psi) when the pump is running. This pressure is controlled by a spring pressure within the regulator assembly.

The fuel pressure that continues to fall is caused by one of the following items:

• The in-tank modular fuel sender is not holding pressure.

• The fuel pressure regulator valve is leaking.

• A Central SFI injector is leaking.

• Fuel line is leaking.

If the fuel pressure is less than 379 kPa (55 psi) at idle, it falls into the following 3 areas:

• The pressure is regulated but less than 379 kPa (55 psi).The amount of fuel reaching the injector is sufficient, but the pressure is too low. The system will run lean, hard starting cold, no start, overall poor performance, and may set a DTC. Refer to Engine Cranks but Does Not Run

• A restricted flow causing pressure drop -- Normally, a vehicle with a fuel pressure of less than 300 kPa (44 psi) at idle is inoperable. However, if the pressure drop occurs only while driving, the engine will normally surge then stop running as the pressure begins to drop rapidly. This is most likely caused by a restricted fuel line or plugged filter.

• A leaking or contaminated pressure regulator valve or seat interface may not allow the regulated pressure to be achieved.

Notice: DO NOT allow the fuel pressure to exceed 517 kPa (75 psi). Excessive pressure may damage the fuel system.

Restricting the fuel return line allows the fuel pressure to build above regulated pressure. With the fuel pump commanded ON, the fuel pressure should rise above 455 kPa (66 psi), as the valve in the return line is partially closed.

When the engine is idling, the manifold pressure is low (high vacuum) and is applied to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. This will offset the spring and result in a lower fuel pressure. This idle pressure will vary somewhat depending on the barometric pressure; however, the pressure at idle should be less indicating the pressure regulator control.

If the injector(s) is not grounded, physically remove suspect injector(s) and inspect for a fuel leak while system is pressurized. If the fuel injector(s) are not leaking and fuel pressure is not holding, the fuel pressure regulator should be inspected for a slow diaphragm leak.