Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2008, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban Starting Issues

New to the forum and I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have a 1999 suburban with the 5.7 liter vortec. The problem is this, some times you go to start the car and nothing happens. It is just like a dead battery. Does not turn over. All of the dash lights and headlights come on but it does not even turn over to start. You do it for several times and sometimesit takes several minutes. Then it will crank over. When it cranks, it runs like a top it is just like it does not get the signal to start and after trying it a few times (soemtimes many), it will start. It only does it every once in a while and several mechanics here cannot figure it out. I have no corroded cables and battery is new. Any help would be appreciated or even where to start. Thanks.

Jeff
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 1999 Suburban Starting Issues

Ignition not recognizing key, starter/solenoid.
Old January 6th, 2008, 7:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I had that similar problem in my 95 burban, turned out being a worn out ignition switch in the column.
Old January 6th, 2008, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone ever replaced the ignition switch? How hard is it to replace it? Any tips would be great.

Jeff
Old January 6th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

removing& replacing the switch is not really difficult. It's under the lock cylinder on the steering column, and it's part of an assembly that has the ignition switch and the key alarm unit connected with a wiring harness. You should be able to locate it easily and see how it operateswhen you remove the trim cover from the steering column.

A newswitch assemblyat an auto parts store will run you around $100, so before you replace it, you might check to see that all the connections are good at the switch. It could be just a dirty/loose connection.
Old January 6th, 2008, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

RonH:

Thanks for the response on the igintion switch on a 1999 suburban. As far as removing the steering trim panels, is it just the two screws underneath I need to remove to access the ignition switch. It looks pretty easy but just wanted to make sure I was removing the steering trim panel correctly. Any ifnormation would help. Thanks.

Jeff
Old January 6th, 2008, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

RonH:

I forgot to ask one thing. Specifically if I have to remove the tilt lever and how. I forgot to ask this in my other e-mails.

Jeff
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Just wondering what turned out to be the problem. I have a 99 suburban with the exact same problem and have posted it here on this website but no one has responded. Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Jeff
The tilt wheel lever should pull right out with a little force. There shoud be three hex screws on the lower steering colum schroud. Then there is one on the down side of the the inside of the colum for the upper. Hope this helps.
Old December 11th, 2010, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I'm trying to do the same thing, ignition switch is starting to give me issues.

How do I get the upper trim part removed? It has to come over the ignition key and the hole on the trim is smaller than the trim on the key slot. I guess there is some special way to hold your tongue or you have to part your hair a special way, I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks,
Jeff (not the same who started this post)

Quick Reply: 1999 Suburban Starting Issues