Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Tahoe - A Couple of Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Tahoe - A Couple of Problems

Just bought my first one (LT, 4X4, 87K on the clock, 5.7L) and it's great to drive but I believe I have some common problems. Can anyone shed some light?

1) 4WD indicator lights -- Sometimes they light. Sometimes they don't. Right now I'm in 2Hi. When the indicator light is not on, occasionally I can press the 2H button and it stays on for awhile then it goes off. Other times I press it and nothing lights. I'm afraid to try it in 4H for fear it might get stuck in 4H.

Before I purchased the truck, I pressed all the buttons to make sure 4X4 was working and even though the indicator lights were out at the time, I could hear the shift and 4X4 worked.

Switch? Shift motor? or ???

2) Headlights stay on when I start the truck. I know some models have daytime lights but mine seem to be just as bright in the day as they are at night. When I turn off the ignition, the lights go off. I don't own a Canadian model so I'm kind of confused.

I took the truck to an auto electric shop and he subscribed to a database listing possible causes but all he could find was the problem. The only solution was to purchase a switch (not sure if it's an OEM part) that when installed, allows the driver to override the "Daytime" mode.

The only sensor I see that should adjust for daytime and night mode seems to be in the back of the rearview mirror. I plan on shining a flashlight on it tonight to see if the light s adjust back into what should be the "daylight" mode.

3) Coolant. I learned about the intake leak a bit too late. Just topped coolant off with the orange Havoline coolant. will this stuff eat away at the intake gasket like the OEM stuff?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

i have two of the same symptoms as you on my recently purchased 1999 burb.

my 4wd switch does the same. I've determined it's the switch light itself. The swich works, and i can always shift between 2hi, auto, 4hi, 4lo, but the light will not always illuminate. i just have to remember to push 2hi to make sure i know where i am.

i drink coolant. unsure of where it goes. the oil is is clean, so i'm not mixing it there, and the coolant is also clear. i'm afraid of a head gasket leak, but never thought to check intake gaskets...
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks.

I've decided to change the intake gaskets ASAP. I have to take a long trip and don't want a major headache along the way.

I know not to go to the dealer.

Does anyone know what this job will cost me at a decent local shop?

Thanks,

Mark