Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 tahoe, intermittant startup

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 tahoe, intermittant startup

My Tahoe does not start each time I try. It operates normal once the engine starts. It may be months between failures or as often as two or three days. I have replaced the tank fuel pump twice, regulator, distributor and cap, and plug and plug wires. Once the engine starts, everything works fine. I have installed a fuel gage on the fuelline port in the engine compartment. Pressure is 58-64 psi when running or stopped. At least three no-starts happened after rainy weather. Six to eight hours later, the engine starts fine. Can any of you give information about similar problems and the fix. Merlin
Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Someone here should be able to help.
Old August 5th, 2009, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

It failed to start again today (8-5-09). The security light stayed on continously. I tried both original Manufacturer's keys and neither one started the vehicle. Approximately 3 hours later, I tried to start the vehicle and was successful. The security light did not stay on this time. I used both keys to start the vehicle. The gas pressure at the railline port above the engine indicated 60 psi during the starting process.
Old December 4th, 2009, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Knock on wood. I have not had any problem since the last thread. I did determine that the passlock system malfunction was associated with the key cylinder, which would relate to corrosion in the plug-in connector. I sprayed contact cleaner fluid in the key hole and saturated the cylinder (this is the type fluid used to clean contacts in TV mechanical tuners). I presently insert the key and turn to on position but do not start the engine. After the beeping stops and security light goes off, I turn the key to the start position and the engine starts. I don't know if this solved the problem, but the truck has started each time. In addition, inserting the key and removing the key is smoother. Good luck if you decide to try this. The cleaner fluid will evaporate in a few minutes.