Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Chevy Tahoe dripping question

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2014, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2000 Chevy Tahoe dripping question

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but I thought I would start here.
We have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. Two weeks ago, we had all of the hard brake lines replaced along with the fuel lines. We currently live in Texas but moved from Pennsylvania where we lived for eight years. Apparently, during that time of living in the NE, the lines corroded.
This leads me to my question. This morning, I started up the Tahoe and let it warm up. It's about 25 degrees here. I noticed moisture dripping out of the tailpipe which I know is normal. However, I also noticed dripping coming from underneath the car where the gas tank is. I'm very concerned. I immediately pulled the Tahoe back into the garage and then grabbed a paper towel to see if the dripping had any color or scent. It had no color or scent.
If this would have been gas leaking, wouldn't there have been a strong smell? I'm confused on what this could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum and Texas
I suspect it is just condensation, if it were fuel it would smell pretty strongly...
fuel doesn't freeze so it can get really cold, that cold surface of the fuel tank or lines coming in contact with warmer/moist air could make condensate....

BTW you need to send this cold weather back up north to PA, I'm not looking for the 113 degree days we had a few years back but this cold has got to go!
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the welcome. I'm with ya on this cold weather. We are originally from Florida so I really don't like the cold.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to take the car for a drive and it continued to drip water or whatever from underneath. The dripping from the tailpipe stopped but it continued to drip from this tank or box looking piece underneath the car. It's on the rear passenger side right in front of the rear tire. It doesn't look big enough to be the gas tank, and I don't believe it's fuel leaking since there is no odor, however, you can see the side of this metal tank or box wet and then dripping from the side seam. Not sure what that is. If I can snap a photo of it, would that help? I'm trying to find a picture online of the different parts underneath the car to pinpoint what that is.

I'm just suspicious right now of things with this car. After we picked up the car from the repair shop, I noticed the brake light was lite on the dashboard. I called them up and they said not to worry about that. Apparently, the sensor on the master cylinder is bad and not reading the brake fluid level correctly but there is plenty of fluid in there. Why they didn't mention that before they called and told us it was ready is beyond me. So, I'm just on high alert that things were fixed correctly because losing my brakes the first time was very scary.

I'm glad there are forums like these online to help answer questions.
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like you are describing a part of the EVAP system... a picture is worth a thousand words...
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Okay.....I'll start the car up this afternoon and take a picture of where the liquid is dripping from. It only drips when the car is running.

Thanks so much!
Old February 6th, 2014, 8:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm in NY and looking to join you guys down in TX hopefully sooner than later. I had a 98 expedition 2 of the rear hard brake lines rotted due to corrosion. 1st one i had a mechanic do. second one (after paying his outrageous price, and after haggling with him) i quickly learned to do myself! not that bad if you have the right tools. anyway do you think you might have an exhaust leak where that drip is. even the smallest exhaust leak would drip water. so i wouldn't be too concerned if it's odorless and colorless. brake fluid would be "oily" and fuel would definitely give you the scent. also rear air condition lines would drip but being that it's cold i doubt you're running them