Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2000 suburban issue (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2000-suburban-issue-95816/)

Drew7304 June 7th, 2019 7:16 PM

2000 suburban issue

Hi,
2000 suburban with the 5.3l. I was driving home the other day and the vehicle stalls while go 35mph. I was able to get off the road and get a short tow home, but haven’t been able to get it running. It starts, but stalls when I push the accelerator. The fuel pump is definitely running and has enough pressure to get me sprayed when I test it, but I don’t know the exact pressure. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the battery (it was old and needed replaced anyway) but neither helped. Any ideas? Other sensors maybe? Mass air flow? Is there a sensor associated with the throttle? Fuel pump? The tow truck driver didn’t believe I had fuel so I now have a full tank (it took 11 gallons, like I told him it would). I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

73shark June 7th, 2019 8:27 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'd still put a gauge on the fuel line and see what the pressure is w/ the engine running and then how long it holds w/ engine and key off.

KChevy75 June 7th, 2019 9:48 PM

How many miles?

Any codes thrown?

Does it stall in Park or one or all of the other gear selections?

If you put it in reverse or drive and let off the gas, does it move or try to move?

Are there any cracks or loose hose feeding into the intake?

Drew7304 June 7th, 2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by KChevy75 (Post 429284)
How many miles?

Any codes thrown?

Does it stall in Park or one or all of the other gear selections?

If you put it in reverse or drive and let off the gas, does it move or try to move?

Are there any cracks or loose hose feeding into the intake?

About 230k miles.
No codes currently. It frequently has O2 sensor codes.
When I shift into gear it sort of tries to move, but doesn’t stay on long enough to do anything.
No crack or loose hoses noticeable.

i figured I’d try measuring fuel pressure this weekend.

KChevy75 June 7th, 2019 11:20 PM

Could be torque converter clutch is stuck locked up.

Maybe the throttle plate is not opening or the throttle position sensor is bad. I'd think that would throw a code through. Take the hose off the throttle body and with the car on but not started, have someone step on the gas pedal and see if the throttle plate opens. If it looks like it's operating properly, start it and watch the throttle plate. Have someone give it some gas and see if it opens.

The MAF could be an issue. You can try cleaning it gently with some MAF cleaner or electronic parts cleaner.

falconbrother June 11th, 2019 3:06 PM

You could have an engine/computer intermittent issue. If it suddenly dies that sounds like an electrical issue, especially if you're not getting any codes.

Drew7304 June 11th, 2019 3:18 PM

I thought electrical issues too, until I tested fuel pressure this past weekend. 6 psi sounds like fuel pump to me. And I have a full tank of fuel!

falconbrother June 11th, 2019 3:33 PM

6 PSI is way off for fuel injectors. That would be low even for a throttle body system. You dropping the tank?

kevinkpk June 11th, 2019 3:45 PM

Fuel pump here also. The 2000 suburban had a fuel pump recall, I'm sure your's isn't original. Can you actually hear the pump running?

Drew7304 June 12th, 2019 4:27 AM

Yep, going to drop the tank once I drain most of the fuel. The fuel pump is definitely running, which is why I thought it might be something else. I know it could still be the first fuel filter, but I suspect with such a low pressure it will be the pump. This is not the original. The original was replaced 8 years ago when the car left my wife stranded on the highway. That’s also when we got a new car. She doesn’t give her vehicles a second chance.