Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 suburban issue

Old June 7th, 2019, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 suburban issue

Hi,
2000 suburban with the 5.3l. I was driving home the other day and the vehicle stalls while go 35mph. I was able to get off the road and get a short tow home, but havenít been able to get it running. It starts, but stalls when I push the accelerator. The fuel pump is definitely running and has enough pressure to get me sprayed when I test it, but I donít know the exact pressure. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the battery (it was old and needed replaced anyway) but neither helped. Any ideas? Other sensors maybe? Mass air flow? Is there a sensor associated with the throttle? Fuel pump? The tow truck driver didnít believe I had fuel so I now have a full tank (it took 11 gallons, like I told him it would). Iím open to suggestions. Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2019, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I'd still put a gauge on the fuel line and see what the pressure is w/ the engine running and then how long it holds w/ engine and key off.
Old June 7th, 2019, 9:48 PM
CF Active Member

How many miles?

Any codes thrown?

Does it stall in Park or one or all of the other gear selections?

If you put it in reverse or drive and let off the gas, does it move or try to move?

Are there any cracks or loose hose feeding into the intake?
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75 View Post
How many miles?

Any codes thrown?

Does it stall in Park or one or all of the other gear selections?

If you put it in reverse or drive and let off the gas, does it move or try to move?

Are there any cracks or loose hose feeding into the intake?
About 230k miles.
No codes currently. It frequently has O2 sensor codes.
When I shift into gear it sort of tries to move, but doesnít stay on long enough to do anything.
No crack or loose hoses noticeable.

i figured Iíd try measuring fuel pressure this weekend.
Old June 7th, 2019, 11:20 PM
CF Active Member

Could be torque converter clutch is stuck locked up.

Maybe the throttle plate is not opening or the throttle position sensor is bad. I'd think that would throw a code through. Take the hose off the throttle body and with the car on but not started, have someone step on the gas pedal and see if the throttle plate opens. If it looks like it's operating properly, start it and watch the throttle plate. Have someone give it some gas and see if it opens.

The MAF could be an issue. You can try cleaning it gently with some MAF cleaner or electronic parts cleaner.
Old June 11th, 2019, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

You could have an engine/computer intermittent issue. If it suddenly dies that sounds like an electrical issue, especially if you're not getting any codes.
Old June 11th, 2019, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

I thought electrical issues too, until I tested fuel pressure this past weekend. 6 psi sounds like fuel pump to me. And I have a full tank of fuel!
Old June 11th, 2019, 3:33 PM
CF Active Member

6 PSI is way off for fuel injectors. That would be low even for a throttle body system. You dropping the tank?
Old June 11th, 2019, 3:45 PM
CF Monarch

Fuel pump here also. The 2000 suburban had a fuel pump recall, I'm sure your's isn't original. Can you actually hear the pump running?
Old June 12th, 2019, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

Yep, going to drop the tank once I drain most of the fuel. The fuel pump is definitely running, which is why I thought it might be something else. I know it could still be the first fuel filter, but I suspect with such a low pressure it will be the pump. This is not the original. The original was replaced 8 years ago when the car left my wife stranded on the highway. Thatís also when we got a new car. She doesnít give her vehicles a second chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: