Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban DDM HID Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Suburban DDM HID Kit Questions

Ok, so first off, let me go over my brief story with my experience with HIDs on my 2001 Suburban.

I have, currently installed, Aftermarket Spyder/Sonar LED Halo Projector Headlights, as well as a white Audi style LED strip running below them, and an Amber color LED strip running on the top for turn signals. (Pictures later)

I have some pretty good halogen bulbs in there currently, but they just aren't cutting it anymore. I've decided that it's time to upgrade to HID.

So the first thing I did was buy a Kensun H1 5000K HID Conversion kit off Amazon. (New headlights take H1 bulbs, unlike the stock headlights taking 9006). When they arrived, I hooked them up all correct, turned them on for the first time, and got some erratic flashing for about 10 seconds, then nothing at all. This would happen each time I turned off and on the headlights until, eventually, they blew both of my headlight fuses.

I've already sent them back (determining that they were probably defective due to what I've found online) and ordered a proper kit, a DDM Tuning 35W H1 5000K.

Since my initial failure with my first HID Kit, i've learned that HID Kits and Chevy's require you to reverse the polarity on the connectors for them to work, due to the way Chevy's are wired.

So my MAIN QUESTION IS as follows: There are two plugs that need to be plugged in here. One of them is the ORIGINAL OEM wiring plug that used to be plugged into the stock 9006 Bulb back when I had stock headlights. This plug is to be plugged into the plug extending from the HID bulb. The other plug goes from the HID Bulb/Harness into the BALLAST. Am I supposed to reverse the polarity on BOTH of these plugs? Just the one into the ballast? Just the one from the stock wiring?

Please, if anyone can, help me with this issue! I don't want to burn out my fuses and have the HID's not work again like my previous HID Kit.

If anyone with a similar model Chevy to me has gone through the same procedure, please share your thoughts!

Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
Dustin Barnette (April 14th, 2020)