Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 4WD problem

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2020, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4WD problem

Hello,

Ongoing problem getting my 4WD working again. I replaced the Transfer Case Motor and now it seems to be blowing the ATC 20 amp fuse under the hood. One strange thing though was that the instructions with the TCM said that they ship the motors in the 2Hi position. This one shipped in Neutral though, as I could not install it until I manually shifted the transfer case into neutral. When I put it all back together, turning on the key caused the 4Hi light to flash (that's the last position it was in before the failure). I tried to shift it to 2Hi and it tried for a bit then blew the fuse. I disconnected the battery to maybe clear some prior information in the computer and replaced the fuse. Now it recognizes that it is in neutral but I still can't shift it to 2Hi. The fuse blows. I am thinking maybe I need to plug into the OBDII and tell it that the TCM was replaced or something. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan
Old November 14th, 2020, 6:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like the wiring supplying power to the motor has a short to ground somewhere or for some reason the motor is trying to pull too much power. See what happens with a 25 amp and if needed, a 30 amp fuse. If they blow it is more than likely you have a short to ground problem.
Old November 16th, 2020, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
Sounds like the wiring supplying power to the motor has a short to ground somewhere or for some reason the motor is trying to pull too much power. See what happens with a 25 amp and if needed, a 30 amp fuse. If they blow it is more than likely you have a short to ground problem.
I don't think this is the problem, not totally ruling it out but it was not blowing the fuse until I put in the new motor. I think somehow the motor is out of sync with the transfer case and it is binding when it tries to turn the shaft into a position that is not correct. It rubs me the wrong way that the instructions said it comes in 2Hi and it was clearly in Neutral. Wondering if a shop would have a tool they can plug in and run the motor according to what you tell it rather than what it thinks it is doing.
Old November 16th, 2020, 1:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Explain the problem to who sold the new motor to you and what you read about how it was supposed to ship and get another motor. The motor that you have may well be pulling too much power and blowing the fuse, as I laid out in my post. It is a wag at this point.