Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 4WD stuck on - Transfer Case Shift Motor?

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2020, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4WD stuck on - Transfer Case Shift Motor?

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 that was sitting for a good 10 months and when I got it going again I think it was in 2wd, I shifted it once or twice in and out of 4wd but it is now stuck in 4wd. The lights on the buttons are lit and indicate it's trying but gives up after a bit. I hear some soft clicks as it tries. Message center says "Service 4wd".

I read an old thread here about it that said letting them sit isn't good and they can get stuck. I've tried to actuate it probably 20 times or so. Is it possible it just needs to be removed and cleaned / lubed? If it is toast, is there a way to pop it off and test it while it's still plugged in electrically? There's a sticker on it that warns about not actuating it while it's pulled off.

Before I go dig into that, is there any fuse or relay to check? I couldn't find the fuse in the box under the hood - wasn't labeled as such that I could find anyhow.

Thanks a bunch!
Dan
Old November 5th, 2020, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Since you hear clicking noises I would assume the switch is sending a signal but maybe the encoder motor could be bad or it is hung up from inactivity.

Whatever you do, don't climb under there like this.

Old November 6th, 2020, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I pulled the transfer case shift motor off. Anyone know if I should be able to switch from 2 to 4 and see it move? The sticker on it has me worried about actuating it off the case like that, but for the life of me I don't see why it would matter if it were off the case when you actuate it.

Another question, the **** coming out of the transfer case, anyone know the positions that give the various modes (2hi, 4hi, 4lo). It was stuck in 4hi, and I was able to turn the **** counter clockwise and have it seem like it clicked into a different mode. But I don't know if that's 2hi or 4lo.

Thanks!