Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Tahoe Alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tahoe Alarm problem

Hi everybody, new to this forum and already love it, I have a weird issue with my Tahoe that I just purchased, I was given a remote for it but it does not work so I have to lock doors with lock/unlock button on the door, here's the weird part, when I lock doors with the lock button and unlock from the outside and open the door the alarm will go off and the only way to shut it is by turning the ignition on, the only way the alarm will not go off is by locking the doors one by one manually and not using the lock/unlock button. Does this mean I have to get a new remote or what?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key Fob

The issue is that what you got was a leftover or throw in remote. There is a set of program steps that will set your remote to your vehicle, hat generally begin with turning the ignition to ON and back OFF like three times. Then depending on year model it is some crazy combintion of inputs like hold down the window button while flashing the dimmer switch.

The dealership here had one guy who did most of the programming of remotes. He taught me how to do mine when I had to replace one, but of course you don't do it enough to give a hoot and you forget.

I think they charged like $25US for him to do it if you went through service, but he was pretty cool about helping folks if you would or could get to him directly.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

East Texas,

Thanks for your prompt response, I opened the remote to inspect the battery and a piece of microchip just crumbled on my hand, called a guy who speacializes in keys transponders, remotes, and keys and works every weekend at Trader's Village flea market and sold me a new remote + programming for 50.00 and now my issue has been resolved, if you guys need his phone number I can reffer you to him, he goes to you if you need him to.

Thank you once again!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trader's Village

Great!!!

I am glad you were able to get it resolved easily and quickly. Do you go to Trader's Village at Grand Prarie or Houston?

I usually get down there to GP a couple of times each summer. Talk about a kid in a candy shop. Wife goes one way, I go the other. Thank GOD for cell phones. It's about 3.5 hours from home. We need a 'burban to haul the crap back.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Lol I feel you bro, I actually got to the one in GP, Texas.