Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 tahoe electrical problems Computer??

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 tahoe electrical problems Computer??

ok so here is the problem the other night i was driving and came to a stop and the truck died on me and would not restart but all the electrical was going crazy i.e. rear wiper was on but the switch was not on all the lights on the dash was on the flashers would not work when i pushed the brakes all the light would come on. so i was two houses away form my buddys house so we pulled it there and i disconnected the battery( hoping to clear the computer). the next day i went and tried to start it and it did but not very willingly. once it started i had to keep feathering the gas to keep it cranked but eventually it cleared up and ran on its own but the rear wiper was still doing its own thing and the dash light were still on but i decided to drive it home(10min). by the time i got home the rear wiper had stopped and the dash lights were off except the one that said "service 4x4". i then turned it off and restarted it and everything was back to normal. after talking to my dad whom is a mechanic but for nissan for the passed 20 something years i decided to go get the battery and alt. check and the battery failed so i but a new in and i drove it for a day and a half no problems until today when the rear wiper and the dash lights came on again and i noticed that when i bush the brake the rear wiper will jump.
if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
thanks
jason
Old May 4th, 2010, 5:17 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Can you say "exorcism"? Seriously tho, I would get it scanned for codes. Has any work been done on it recently?

On another note, shift key, punctuation, and paragraphs aids in reading text.
Old May 4th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

yeah I'd get it checked again, as the alternator may be acting up
Old May 4th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

x2 test the alternator. if that is not it make sure your pcm is connected good, that can have some of the problems you are having.
Old May 4th, 2010, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

when i had the battery and alt checked i also check for codes and there were none.
no recent work done to it and all work that has been done was done by me.
my dad is a mechanic and i am not to bad at it either.
Old May 4th, 2010, 9:15 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

check the ground cable from the battery to the block, it may look fine from the outside but can be corroded, high resistance or loose and will cause all kinds of strange things to happen. It should read 4 ohms or less, it needs to be as close to a dead short as possible.
Old May 8th, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

update. i did a full charge on my bat. with a trickle charger and cleaned all the ground contacts and add some better grounds and the hoe has been running fine for 2 days now.