Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Tahoe Key Broken

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 Tahoe Key Broken

So preface, I know absolutely nothing about cars/ car keys so please don't judge!

This is for a birthday which is approaching soon so I need to figure all of this out. (Or I'm gonna show him this thread lol) I'd like to have it done by then though.

--My boyfriend's spare key (I think its a spare because it does not have buttons on it) for his 2004 Tahoe broke (the top where there is a hole to attach to keychain) so it is unable to stay on a keychain.
--This is the only key to his car.
--He does not have remote start or push to start.
--He also has a keyless entry fob with only unlock, lock, and alarm on it and that is attached to the keychain. (I don't understand why this is separate from the key, like why wouldn't they put buttons on the key like a normal key, right??)

--My main goal is to get a key that he can put on the keychain.

--If there is a way that I can buy a key with buttons on it and it still work? (So a combo key and keyless entry if that makes sense. Most car keys have this.)

--I know you can buy uncut keys online but I am not sure about which one to get.

--I read something about there being a chip inside and to be careful about it. I don't know what it is for, I'm assuming starting the car.

Any information about my problem would be super helpful! Again, the most you can dumb down the answers for a girl that doesn't know anything about cars!

Thanks everyone!!

Y'all are life savers!
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Chevy didn't do keys w/ buttons, the buttons are on the fob that the key is normally attached to. I believe the key is "chipped". You might have to go to a dealer to get a duplicate. But since you're not the owner, that may prove problematic. Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2017, 9:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

depends on what secuity system the truck uses. Does the key have a + symbol on the blade or a pk3 symbol. If yes, it is a transponder key. these keys are in the $100 range and require programming to function. if you have 2 keys, you should be able to program it yourself. dealership and locksmiths can cut the key but will require ownership...they won't provide keys to random people....and a vin to get the key code.

if its not a transponder key....even better...the keys are cheap and do not require programming.