Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Burb with soft brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2015, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Burb with soft brake pedal

Last week I bought a 2003 Suburban 1500 4WD with 215K on it. One owner, had a mechanic do all of his maintenance.

Before I did anything, it had a soft pedal. The old pads still had some meat on them but I went ahead and replaced them anyway. I replaced both front and rear brake pads (truck has 4 wheel disc brakes) with high quality ceramic pads. The rotors looked fine so I didn’t have them cut.

After replacing the pads the truck still has a soft pedal. It will stop but it takes a lot of pedal travel. At no time did any of the bleeder screws get opened.
Someone told me the due to the ABS system, I should not try to bleed the system without a power machine.

I’ve read that new ceramic pads with old rotors need time to bed in. Should I remove the pads and scuff the rotors up?

Anyone have a good idea what I should try next?

Thanks

Vic
Old May 27th, 2015, 1:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Master cyl needs r n r
Old May 29th, 2015, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Bleed the brakes yesterday. Found air in right front line. Peddle much better but still not as good as it could be.

Also, it seems the ABS is not working. I can stomp on the peddle and there is absolutely no pumping or cycling action. ABS dash light is not illuminated. It does come on when starting the truck so I know the light works.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Fixed it!!!!

Was installing new shocks, had the wheels off anyway so I was checking the hoses. Found the drivers front caliper bleeder screw had some debris in the screw, it didn't close completely. There was a slight leak. I tightened it and topped off the fluid. Got a nice firm pedal now