Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Tahoe won't quite start

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tahoe won't quite start

It turns over and almost starts, but not quite.

2003 Tahoe, larger engine (is that the 5.3L?)
I just got home from a 600 mile trip in Oregon towing our travel trailer.
No trouble on the trip but the problem occurred after sitting overnight.
I usually use regular unleaded, but for towing I used Unleaded Plus.
Outdoor temp is around 70F.
Air filter looks very good.

It has done this a couple of times before, but both times it was very low on fuel and was in our driveway at a slight incline facing uphill. It started then by adding a couple gallons of fuel and leveling it out. But now, the fuel is just below 1/4 tank remaining and it is parked on the flat street.

Any ideas? any common problems that I can check?

Thanks!

Old August 18th, 2008, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Tahoe won't quite start

off the top of my head I would suspect fuel pressure, you could try changing the fuel filter first.
do you hear the fuel pump come on at the frist turn of the key before cranking?
Old August 18th, 2008, 4:09 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. You mentioned that it has been very low on fuel on occasion which can lead to premature fuel pump failure since it is cooled by the fuel.
Old August 19th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key. And will check when the fuel filter was last changed. Interesting idea about possible fuel pump failure. Is that fuel pump in the tank or external?

I used an OBD II code reader last night but there were no codes. So I tried to start it in order to see if it would post any codes, but it started on the third try with about 4 seconds of cranking. So I went and filled the tank last night, and it started right up this morning.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and ideas.
TimC

Old August 19th, 2008, 7:09 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

something else to consider is the accuracy of the fuel gauge or the lack of...anything around a quarter full and I would fill up, I fill up at half. I have replace too many chevy fuel pumps my own and families vehicles, women are th worst about running that dang tank at empty and that is too hard on the pump in the Texas heat.
Old August 20th, 2008, 2:49 AM
CF Junior Member

I own a '07 Tahoe with 20,000 miles on it and I had to have the fuel pumpreplaced on it about a month ago....sounds like you are having the same problem I was. It seemed to turn right over in the morning sometimesbut ifI ran around town....getting in and out alot...it would take about 5 to 10 seconds to start. The dealer told me I had a fuel pump vacuum leak which was causing the fuel in the pump to leak back down into the tank. Theyreplaced the entire fuel pump under warranty and is doing fine now....Hope this helps
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
CF Active Member

Have them check the fuel pump for amperage draw/voltage (OBD II) to deterimine if it is the pump itself. If pump is ok, pressure is low before starting, ok during startup/cranking, then falls 5 mins after engine shutdown; more than likely it will be the check valve after the fuel pump.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

I'm experiencing the same thing in my '07 Suburban (with 18,000 miles). This started a few weeks ago after a 1,000 mile roadtrip. I was hoping I had picked up some bad gasoline along the way and it would fix itself, but no luck. I plan on taking it to the dealer next week and will post my results.
Old September 8th, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Dealer confirmed I need a new fuel pump (disappointing news with only 18K miles on the truck). It will be covered under warranty, but no parts were available.
Old September 10th, 2008, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Tim,

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. If the fuel pump is bad, you, or your mechanic will have to possibly drain and do a uninstall to remove the gas tank.

Quick Reply: 2003 Tahoe won't quite start