Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban 2500 Wiper motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Sud
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban 2500 Wiper motor replacement help

First I will start out by saying that I am not a mechanic so please excuse my description of parts. I used the windshield wipers on New Years day, the next morning they did not work. I checked the fuse in the cab and it was good. I unplugged the connection to the pulse board and it was getting power. So figured it was either the motor or the board. I got the board off w/ ease but I have no idea how to get the motor out. I unbolted the 10mm on top of the motor but from I can tell there are two more on the back side of the motor that attach to some type of support bar. I unbolted the support bar in an attempt to get a better angle at the other two bolts but no luck because I can't back out the bolt on the arm that comes out of the motor. Even if I get loose I can't back it out because its tight in there. Is there a procedure or order of steps I need to perform. I don't wont to finally get it out and the new in and have the wipers work but not properly (alignment). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sud; January 12th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Sud
CF Beginner

ETA: Got everything off, including nut in last picture. Cant get the arm off the motor with wiper puller, any suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2013, 4:50 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Use Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc. If that doesn't work, try heating the arm w/ the puller attached and beating on it. May take several cycles of this "gentle" persuasion.

I read recently that according to a lab's testing that the best penetrant was a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone.

I was unable to pull the wiper arm off on wife's 2004 but was using gear puller as didn't have wiper puller. Did you have any problem getting your wiper arm off?
Old January 12th, 2013, 5:54 PM
Sud
CF Beginner

I used the puller on the wiper arms and they didn't give as much resistance as the link attached to the motor. I finally was able to move the motor around until i could get the puller on it and even then I had to use vise grips to turn it. The motor is out with no casualties , just waiting on new motor to arrive. My plan is to bolt motor back in and then attach the link last. I did my best to mark and take pictures of the link/arm position. I marked the wiper positions with a marker so my biggest concern will be the back of the motor.