Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban HVAC issues

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2018, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Suburban HVAC issues

I know this a common issue but everything I have found doesn't match up with what is going on with mine. I have recently bought a 2005 suburban purchased it in the summer and the ac was ice cold so I didn't have any issues until the winter hit and found out that the heat didn't work at all and the vent selector did not work either. Found out that the previous owner had pulled the HTR/HVAC fuse, so I replaced fuse and the heat on the drivers side would work when I put the temp selector in the middle(I have the slide controllers not the digital), passenger side was still ice cold and the rear heat works but cannot change the vents it is on the overhead one and stuck there. Did some more research and found out how to calibrate the system. Did this now the driver side heat works great, I can change to all the vents and the temp selector works as it should(goes hot on hot, cool in the middle and cold on the bottom) passenger side is still ice cold, and still cannot change any vents on the rear. Everything I have seen is that when the blend door actuators fail the fail on hot which would be find through the winter, but this does not seem to be the case since I still have ice cold air on the passenger side. My question is, is there something that I am missing, another fuse possibly, or did the actuator fail, or did the controller in the dash fail? Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Old December 12th, 2018, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by amaynes1335
I know this a common issue but everything I have found doesn't match up with what is going on with mine. I have recently bought a 2005 suburban purchased it in the summer and the ac was ice cold so I didn't have any issues until the winter hit and found out that the heat didn't work at all and the vent selector did not work either. Found out that the previous owner had pulled the HTR/HVAC fuse, so I replaced fuse and the heat on the drivers side would work when I put the temp selector in the middle(I have the slide controllers not the digital), passenger side was still ice cold and the rear heat works but cannot change the vents it is on the overhead one and stuck there. Did some more research and found out how to calibrate the system. Did this now the driver side heat works great, I can change to all the vents and the temp selector works as it should(goes hot on hot, cool in the middle and cold on the bottom) passenger side is still ice cold, and still cannot change any vents on the rear. Everything I have seen is that when the blend door actuators fail the fail on hot which would be find through the winter, but this does not seem to be the case since I still have ice cold air on the passenger side. My question is, is there something that I am missing, another fuse possibly, or did the actuator fail, or did the controller in the dash fail? Has anyone else had a similar issue?
sounds like the blend door actuator might be no good. pass side is a breeze tho 1aauto usually has videos to go with the part so might be worth checking especially if you have already re calibrated them. good luck
Old December 12th, 2018, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

I thought the passenger actuator was clear up under the dash, is this not the case?
Old July 2nd, 2023, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 suburban HVAC Issue

I'm trying to cool down, but my 2005 suburban 2500 does not seem to want to blow through the AC coil. Pressures read good, line in engine compartment showing cold, but air still blows hot on both sides. This is a manual control system. followed recalibration several times. I'm stumped
Old July 3rd, 2023, 9:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mrogalo
I'm trying to cool down, but my 2005 suburban 2500 does not seem to want to blow through the AC coil. Pressures read good, line in engine compartment showing cold, but air still blows hot on both sides. This is a manual control system. followed recalibration several times. I'm stumped
We had a 2005 GMC Yukon XL, so similar to yours. There are three electric actuators under the dash which direct the air flow, and these do go bad.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

I think there are 4, one for mode, one passenger temp, one for driver temp, one for hvac vs heater core