Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Power Source

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2006, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Power Source

My wife has an IPod in her truck and it uses a cigarette lighter power outlet for power(constant power). I would like to hard wire it into, preferably a power source that is controlled by the ignition.

Would the ant. wire on the stereo be the best bet? If so, how do I remove the stereo? If not is there a certain fuse in the fuse block (by the driver's door) that has only accessory power? If there is not an easy option for accessory power, I will just choose a hot wire.

Thanks.
Kevin
Old October 19th, 2006, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2007 Power Source

I found a wire in the fuse block.
Old October 19th, 2006, 4:23 PM
CF Active Member

before u go hard wiring something in you should make sure that the item u r hardwiring is 12 volts and not a different volt. the easiest way to hardwire is to get a metra CLA wgich is a the female side of a cigarette plug with a positive and negative wire comin out of the opposite end. also it is not a good idea to put it on a constant wire, it should be connected to an accessory so that when u shut the truck off the unit shuts off as well...
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:25 PM
CF Active Member

I agree, I am an electrician. I work mostly on large back-up generators for buildings.

Thanks for the input though.
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: addkev

I found a wire in the fuse block.

Which one???? I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for one with no luck!!!! The Owner's Manual gives descriptive codes (so does the panel cover) - what is the code for that particular fuse??
Old October 20th, 2006, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

I spliced into a wire that is right in front of the fuse panel. It is a pink wire with a purple stripe. It has 12v while the ignition is on. I stripped the insulation and soldered directly to it. There is an excellent ground right there on the fire wall.

Kevin
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:38 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: addkev

I spliced into a wire that is right in front of the fuse panel. It is a pink wire with a purple stripe. It has 12v while the ignition is on. I stripped the insulation and soldered directly to it. There is an excellent ground right there on the fire wall.

Kevin
That sounds a bit dangerous... I would hope that you put an in-line fuse on your wire after the soldering... Who knows what the pink wire with a purple stripe feeds.

Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the 07 Tahoe?? Before I go tapping into circuits, I'd like to know where the wire goes....

Old December 30th, 2006, 2:22 PM
CF Senior Member

After doing a search, I decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.

I too am looking for a retained accessory power source for a TV tuner. As it is now it's wired up to ignition power which means I can't sit in the truck with it off and watch TV. I was wondering if it's possible to tap into the power on harness C-1 of the head-unit to get this power?

Any thoughts? Has anyone been successful finding a good retained accessory power source?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: TMW597

After doing a search, I decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.

I too am looking for a retained accessory power source for a TV tuner. As it is now it's wired up to ignition power which means I can't sit in the truck with it off and watch TV. I was wondering if it's possible to tap into the power on harness C-1 of the head-unit to get this power?

Any thoughts? Has anyone been successful finding a good retained accessory power source?
How about tapping one of the powerlets? I know the rear console one is not switched to the ignition... I hooked up my headrest DVDs to it and it works fine except for some motor noise that a supressor could probably easily fix. Moved my connection to the fuse box where the DVDs are supposed to plug in to. btw.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need to find retained accessory power. Every 12v power port in the vehicle is "always on" power, front, center console, and cargo area.

Quick Reply: 2007 Power Source