Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe; Left front axle seal leaking again

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2017, 4:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe; Left front axle seal leaking again

Hi all,

So I have a 2007 Tahoe, has about 232K on it. I had the left front axle seal replaced back in May 2017, and its currently leaking again.

Some backstory, I had the right front axle seal replaced a little over a year ago, and that right front seal kept leaking and was needing replacement about 3 times (this shop has eaten the cost of each time the new seal needed replacing), after the last time it has stopped leaking, I believe they put some silicone in with the new seal to help prevent it from leaking, and so far it has not leaked again. I did have them check the vent line to make sure it wasn't blocked and it was not blocked, assuming they did check it as I requested.

So now I'm bringing the Tahoe back to them tomorrow for them to look at the issue, and the guy is saying that there is something else going on, theres no way that many seals go bad, he said if it was the right side leaking again he could chalk it up to installer error, but since its the left side leaking, he's saying maybe the aluminum axle housing may be out of round. Which makes sense as to why both sides axle seals needed replacing so often.

But my question is can the axle housing really go out of round over time?

I don't off road the vehicle at all; it was in an accident Dec. 2015 where my wife T-boned a car who made an illegal u-turn right in front of her on a two lane road; but the damage to the Tahoe wasn't too bad, just needed a new bumper and bumper support and new a/c condenser, they replaced the headlights and tow hooks, other car was totaled.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 7th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a stab at an idea, but are they using aftermarket parts?
I'd review the service manual for how to install the seal, just maybe they are doing it the way they think it should be done, rather then the way it should be done...
Is the sealing surface clean?
Old August 7th, 2017, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
Just a stab at an idea, but are they using aftermarket parts?
I'd review the service manual for how to install the seal, just maybe they are doing it the way they think it should be done, rather then the way it should be done...
Is the sealing surface clean?
Hi in2pro, No they are using genuine GM seals. I have seen them pull the seal from their inventory myself, and I have double checked the part number, 22761722. From my understanding what they have said, there is nothing odd about the axle or the sealing surface, that they could find. I explicitly told them to check it over with a fine tooth comb. They also checked the vent hose and from what they tell me its not blocked. I just wondering maybe they are over filling the diff. after the repair, which from my research says it could leak b/c of overfilling.

I'll have to get my hands on a service manual. That digital copy I have from years ago no longer works for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Typerod; August 7th, 2017 at 6:40 PM.
Old August 7th, 2017, 7:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

is it leaking at the seal lip or at the housing? what do the stub shafts look like. New seals can't seal worn shafts.
Old August 31st, 2017, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with new seals and worn shafts...makes sense. After replacing one of these myself, knock on wood I haven't had an issue, but if one wasn't skilled or have the correct tools I could see how the sealing surface could get messed up. I would assume a shop has all the necessary tools but I guess it depends on the shop and what they are used to doing.

My next question though is how would the shafts wear out? I mean they don't flex up and down or right and left, correct? Would it be from dirt or missing fluid? Or just the number of miles on them?
Old September 1st, 2017, 8:47 AM
Super Moderator

the shaft rotates and is in constant contact with the seal
Old September 2nd, 2017, 8:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
is it leaking at the seal lip or at the housing? what do the stub shafts look like. New seals can't seal worn shafts.
So sorry for the late reply.....its leaking at the lip seal. Could maybe it be bad front diff. bearings causing the seals to bad? The shop says they inspected and measured the axle, and could find no unusual wear on the axle.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

if the bearing was bad it would cause the stub shaft to move xsively....there would be a lot of play in the stub shaft when it was inserted in the t case and you move the shaft up and down