Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoe Fuel Lines

ORIGINAL: Big D

gdf7279

I hope your magnets work for you and I think they will because you will adjust your driving habits accordingly.. Test on people, while under observation, (i.e time motion studies) show that performance is increased while you are being monitored... Essentially you are now closely monitoring your driving so this is what will cause your increase in mileage and probably not your magnets.As far asE-85 I agree with the earlier post...it is just not cost effective...the decrease in mileage more than offsets the slight price reduction. I think if you go to the E-85 website and use their consumption calculator it is generally estimated e-85 will add about $400 to your annual bill. Now the benefits, from reading on the net, are higher octane, probably longer lasting plugs since the engine will run cleaner etc. I think the Hybrid Tahoe will be the way to go...however at $52k it is a little more than what i would want to pay...but i think after a used-market develops some good deals will be available. My worry is the long term battery replacements and related components on a non-warranty, relatively new technology when this vehicle is purchased as a used car....and will the vehicle depreciate a lot since the battery replacement will probably be priced into the depreciation of the vehicle.....My 2 cents worth.... I went to look at the Hybrid Tahoe (did not drive one) but I was quite impressed with the product and feel if the vehicles were priced in the mid 40's they would get serious consideration from a frugal consumer like me.
I would agree for the most part that monitoring my driving has help to some point. But I'm not sure how much. I've been closely monitoring my driving an fuel comsumption since I first got the Tahoe and was averaging 13mpg, took me about 3 to 4 months to re-adjust my driving to get a consistent 14.5 to 15mpg... But not sure about another 2mpg jump to 17mpg. But like I said before, even if it is just the placebo effect, and even if only 1mpg, its worth the $5 to save even the $20+ I've already saved, even if its only a change in habits. I'm going to keep monitoring and see what happens... I also may, just as a control, add the mags to my wifes car and not tell her about them. Then I will see what happens because there should be no change in driving hbits.

As far as the E85 debate, I agree it is not cost effective, especially here in the Los Angeles area where there is only one station to fill up so they don't discount as much. I think the attraction to E-85 is that it is more renewable that purely oil based fuels. It attracts the Green people to the cars. Imagine the hype if they choose to do an E-85 hybrid, however, I think the fuel cell will come into play sooner. Looking forward to getting an opportunity to drive an Equinox fuel cell.. They're planning a test drive in the L.A. Area in the near future.
Old April 21st, 2008, 8:02 PM
CF Junior Member

i am all for your increased in MPG.... I recently hauled my motorcycle trailer and bike (2,200lbs) on a recent trip to the Texas Hill Country I logged about 800 miles rountrip, I averaged around 14.2 miles per gallon. I think the savings came mostly from keeping the car at 55MPH. About 4 months ago I did a similar trip and averaged around 12 miles per gallon...and that time i did not keep the vehicle under 55MPH....so it is mostly driving habits that help keep the mileage close to the estimated mileage posted on the MSRP invoice (window sticker).....I sure love my Tahoe.. by far the best performing, best looking, and great mileage for such a large tow vehicle....
Old April 21st, 2008, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Shark.... you are the man.. that is exactly what i was referring to.... i heard about this in a college class years ago and having worked at a warehouse back in my 20's and also being a part of time-motion studies I do remember my performance (pulling orders for a grocery warehouse) did increase while being monitored.... weird but it is true...Also, people do work as a group and set what is considered a fair day's production (number of boxes pulled by each individual while working in different parts of the warehouse were similar for all even though there was not a concerted effort by the individuals to divy up the work equally)... well enough of this non-tahoe related bs back to the business as hand...TAHOES
Old April 21st, 2008, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

gdf7279: I believe the new hybrid Tahoe is E85.

Personally I file ethanol right next to global warming.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: 73shark

gdf7279: I believe the new hybrid Tahoe is E85.

Personally I file ethanol right next to global warming.
I'd be interested in knowing for sure... I was browsing on the Chevy website to see and it didn't specify that it is E-85. Any idea when they're going to try to please everyone with an E-85/Hydrogen/Hybrid... okay that might be a little to far.

Anyways, another thing I've noticed new since adding the mags to my fuel line is that my Tahoe is in V4 mode more often. There's a stretch of road I drive daily and my car would never be in V4 mode... Now, it is in V4 more the whole time, I'm on the stretch... Anyone know why that might have started happening... Also,I never said, unless I'm excellerating or decellerating, I'm usually using cruise control.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 4:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gdf7279
Now, it is in V4 more the whole time, I'm on the stretch... Anyone know why that might have started happening...
I can't say why that is happening for sure but I can tell you with absolute certainty what is not the reason for it.

The Hybrid Tahoe is E85 capable.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Does it also have AFM?
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
CF Addict

AFM: Yes.
I have spent allot of time in the Hybrid and even though it is currently rated at 20mpg Hwy it has no problem at all getting 25 City so long as it isn't driven aggressively.
Old May 11th, 2008, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Okay, just wanted to follow-up with my results. Obviously, take it as you feel... I just find these results interesting... My third tank after installing the mags was also right about 16mpg, which is still higher than I used to get. However, my fourth tank was E85, and I got the same 12.5 MPG that I've always gotten with E85... No difference at all...

Hey, like I said, could all just be because I am paying more attention, but I think it is intersting that I'm now seeing a definate improvement using regular fuel and no difference on E85.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
CF Addict

So do you surmise that the magnet is not able to alter the molecular composition of Ethanol?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe Fuel Lines