Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked???????? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2007-tahoe-ltz-dash-has-cracked-26133/)

trikydick February 6th, 2019 8:34 PM

Dash cracked

My 2007 Silverado has 7 or 8 cracks started about 2 years after I bought it brand new. Now we have air bag recall my dash will fall to pieces when they replace mine. Anyone find a cheap place to get one?

Steve Clowers February 7th, 2019 7:48 AM

They make a cover for the dash for around 300. Otherwise you’re going to pay at least 1300 for the repair and it’s going to crack again. They never corrected the original problem.
You can also rest assured that you will be paying that yourself because GM couldn’t give a shi?? about the problem. They got our money and laughed all the way to the bank.

buttanic February 8th, 2019 9:59 AM

Originally Posted by mhanlen (Post 344678)
My first one cracked a year after warranty and the dealer replaced it free (2012, wow). My second one cracked 4 years latter (2016). If you search the internet, alot of people recommend remove the dash, reinforce it on the bottom side in the weak areas and reinstall it. You'll have a stronger dash for less money.

The same happened to me. There is a YouTube video on how to do it. The video is 28 minutes, the job is probably 28 hours.

sfcjones February 9th, 2019 5:10 AM

I can't believe anyone would post it would take about 28 hours. It took me two hours from start to finish. I mean if you are going to entertain company and drinks a few beers and play horse shoes while trying to do this...Yeah it might even take ya 48 hours.
I hate being snarky about this but dang...anyone with a few mechanical skill should be able to this at the max 4 hours.

buttanic February 9th, 2019 8:35 AM

Originally Posted by sfcjones (Post 370421)
I can't believe anyone would post it would take about 28 hours. It took me two hours from start to finish. I mean if you are going to entertain company and drinks a few beers and play horse shoes while trying to do this...Yeah it might even take ya 48 hours.
I hate being snarky about this but dang...anyone with a few mechanical skill should be able to this at the max 4 hours.

Sarcasm detector not turned on?

buttanic September 23rd, 2020 10:29 AM

GM replaced the original one on my 2007 Suburban under warranty about 14 years ago, now it is cracked worst than the first. I no longer worry about it. After all at 13 years old and 140,000 miles, chipped and peeling paint, stained carpet and ripped driver's seat, to quote a famous American "What difference does it make at this point".

spunebil October 23rd, 2020 6:33 PM

dash on me 2007 suburban cracked in a few places, I bought a dash cover for like a wee bit over 100 dolla (american) will probably install it in spring . with this zombie virus thing going on , figured there was no hurry to install it right away :)

Sean Dunn December 4th, 2020 2:25 PM

Dash

Dash here for sale.
how do i send you a picture ?

in2pro December 5th, 2020 7:49 AM

Just read a news story about GM replacing the Takata air bags but not authorizing the replacement of the cracked dash while there...🤷.

mhanlen December 6th, 2020 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 457067)
Just read a news story about GM replacing the Takata air bags but not authorizing the replacement of the cracked dash while there...🤷.

They are so backlogged on air bag replacement that you'll never get it. Just like all the other dealers.