Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked???????? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2007-tahoe-ltz-dash-has-cracked-26133/)

bamafutbal September 21st, 2009 9:33 PM

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

1 Attachment(s)
noticed a crack in the dash today, 3-4 inches long. no idea how this could have happened. anyone else??? also does anyone know where i can get a replacement new or used (but has to look new)
thanks
john
gainesville fl

MDTAHOE September 21st, 2009 9:47 PM

That sucks. Any warranty left? Truck is so new that there are not a hole lot in the junk yard to get a used one. Probably will be very expensive. You may want to look into a shop that does interior work to see if they can repair it. I had a Silverado in a few weeks ago that got shot in the door (with a large caliber gun) I replace the inside fuse box. The body shop next door repaired the outside of the and they had a company come out and repair the inside door panel. You could not even tell that it had a hole the size of my finger in it.

bamafutbal September 21st, 2009 9:53 PM

80k miles so warranty is up. is this dash panel easy to remove? i did notice (expansion and contraction) when it was baking in the florida sun it almost sealed back up, but when ac is blowing and parked in the garage, the crack opens up to around 1/16 inch. so if its easy to remove, maybe keep it pressed together and then use a thick super glue (gel) underneath where the glue would not show on top of the dash (just a thought)

tm4hammer September 22nd, 2009 1:39 AM

dash

have you checked e-bay for an oem replacement or aftermarket dash cap they usually come in black so you would probably have to color match it and have it painted . i went to an rv place and picked up a windshield screen that bi-folds when retracted to the colums and when pulled open is velcro'd in the middle for 35 bucks damn if i can remember the name who made it but it has lasted 5 years and i have them on all my trucks UPDATE; the name is Eclipse sunshade made by QFD Accessories Inc 1-800-530-8484

bamafutbal September 25th, 2009 3:23 PM

can anyone get me the part number with a diagram, can't find it anywhere
thanks

MDTAHOE September 25th, 2009 7:45 PM

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

bamafutbal September 25th, 2009 8:40 PM

apparently you have to hold my hand even further. i still cannot find this part

MDTAHOE September 25th, 2009 9:56 PM

Put in your year. Then select instrument panel 2 times , then w/o Denali. 3 or 4 items come up with prices click on view illustration. I think you need #4

longtimechevyfan October 5th, 2009 2:09 PM

Look at www.gmpartsclub.com click on Tahoe parts and select your year then keep clicking on instrument panel till you get to w/o denali and look at the diagram. I think the part # you need is 15915973. You can also shoot those guys a email and they will find the exact part for you that you need, theyve done so for me a couple of times.

skitch October 6th, 2009 12:46 PM

Cracked dash in my 2007 Tahoe

Originally Posted by bamafutbal (Post 114278)
noticed a crack in the dash today, 3-4 inches long. no idea how this could have happened. anyone else??? also does anyone know where i can get a replacement new or used (but has to look new)
thanks

I recently noticed the same exact crack in my dash.....looked at your pic and it looks just like mine. Manufacturing flaw??? I have taken very good care of my Tahoe so can't believe this has happened.

skitch October 6th, 2009 3:13 PM

2007 Tahoe Dash Crack

2 Attachment(s)
My dash has also cracked and I have no idea why. I just noticed it. I viewed the pic of your dash and the crack in my dash looks just like the one you have. Manufacturing defect? I think so.

Hughski November 11th, 2009 5:18 PM

My 1st steps on my first new leg

Hello everyone my 2007 dashed cracked almost the same way. I brought mine down to the dealer yesterday and they are going to replace it. They said they haven't seen one but asked no questions and ordered the part. He informed me that the dash is all one part. It is not like the 2006 whee the top part is separate. The service writer said it would be an all day Job and may need to stay over night. So before changing it out bring it to your dealer. Doesn't hurt to check these days.

gvette November 15th, 2009 3:02 PM

i have a crack in my o7 tahoe dash,same side too...must be a manufacturer prob.. did you ever take care of it yet? new dash? im going to have to fix it either way, so any feedback will be helpful..thanks...

bamafutbal November 17th, 2009 7:12 AM

others too on the tahoeyukonforum.com.
i emailed gm's customer service 2 weeks ago but no reply

skitch November 17th, 2009 11:21 AM

2007 Tahoe Dash Crack

I took mine in to the dealer in Granbury TX and at first they told me it was not a warrantied item. I had actually bought the extended warranty plan that covers engine and transmission but was told it did not cover interior/cosmetic things.
I then asked to speak to the service manager. I mentioned to him that I had found this forum online and found many others who had the same exact crack in the same spot. I proceeded to tell him about various other little things I had go wrong...a crack in the leather/pleather on my console where I rest my elbow, cigarette lighter covers that broke almost immediately...door handles that chrome plating had cracked....I felt like this was a manufacturing defect so I was not satisfied with their original answer. He then said he would ck w/GM. They called me bk that day and sd they would replace it and I would need to pay $200 which is the dedctbl on my extended warranty. I paid the $200 and they replaced it. Good luck....I would appeal to the manager and reference this forum....I believe it does help. In today's market, there is no reason for a dash to crack 1 1/2 years after you buy a $40k vehicle. !!

SabrToothSqrl November 17th, 2009 11:44 AM

well

40k?! I left the dealer for $53,600...

1OHANA7 December 7th, 2009 4:25 PM

Just found this site/thread while searching for "Cracked Dash"...noticed mine this morning and I have a 2008 Suburban with 30k miles. Called the dealer who said it "might be under warranty" and to bring it in. I'll reference this site if they try and charge me. Mine is just to the left of where it looks like yours is, but it's about 5 inches in length. I'll post what happens with the dealer.

Thanks!

Anotherbill December 10th, 2009 5:20 PM

My 2007 Suburban has the famous crack (about 9 inches and growing!), the peeling chrome door latches (that cut the fingers) and the flimsy power socket covers as well. I'm having my friend with a body shop replace the door latches just because I don't want to give GM a reward for bad behavior, but the dashboard may be a dealer thing. Now I'd like to know if the replacement will be any better????? That is going to be a LOT of money. I spoke with a GM rep and he pointed out that there is no recall on the dash but if there is in the future they would reimburse me since I now have a case record. The trick is to go to the GM web site and do the "contact us" bit. Not only did they reply, they actually called me and wanted to know what was up. They didn't actually do anything, but the call was a first.

Bill

1OHANA7 December 12th, 2009 10:19 AM

Replaced under warranty

UPDATE to my 12/7 POST:

Took my Suburban in yesterday to the dealer, he replaced the dash and provided a lovely loaner minivan for me to putz around in. The dash looks good, it is the gray color and just a tad lighter than the piece closest to the window but I'm sure that's going to change once our Arizona Sun starts baking it again.

Pleased with my result, but STRONGLY recommend anyone who has this issue to reference this thread and the recurring problem with 07 and 08 Tahoe/Burbans. Mentioning this site and thread to my service director immediately brought the manager and GM in to the mix and I am certain it helped. My Burb was under warranty but I would have pushed even if it wasn't...ping me if you're in AZ and need a good dealer to work with, I'd recommend them.

Good luck.

naturegirl December 16th, 2009 8:17 AM

Cracked dash too!

One night it wasn't there and the next morning it was. about 6-7 inches but on the left side of the hump above steering wheel. I also have a small crack by the passenger air bag. I pretty positive Power Chevrolet will not warranty it because they won't even warranty the door handles that have already been replaced twice. I have 50,000 miles on my 2007 and am pretty type A with taking care of my vehicles. I have been less than pleased with their service thus far. $40,000 for a vehicle that cuts your hand when you open the door, have had engine issues, seat issues, inside door paneling issues, and now cracked dashes. I guess they just don't make them like they used to. Thanks for posting here. I will bring copies of all this to the dealer.

73shark December 16th, 2009 10:14 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Got my handles replaced after warranty expired under "customer appreciation".

twrchief March 13th, 2010 12:17 PM

2008 Suburban dash crack

Hello,

I found this forum after I experienced the "misterious" crack on my dash, about 2 days ago. I've also experienced a problem when I start my Burb, sometimes it makes a very loud "drilling" like noise and in ocassions the vehicle has even shut-off afterwards, GM mechanics can't find the source of the problem. I've also had issues with my driver's side window making a screeching noise when being lowered (cold weather only), which GM mechanics can't seem to fix either, they keep telling me is debris in the window guide.

I have a co-worker who has an 07 GMC Sierra and who also expienced the crack on his dash board, needless to say GM refusses to fix it.

I have taken this a step futher and posted a message to CNN regarding these issues we are experiencing and how GM is not willing to fix what is obviously a factory defect.

Since they are so focused on Toyota right this minute, I figure it would be great for them to know that our American Auto makers are as substandard with their so called "high-end" vehicles as Toyota is with their regular vehicles.

It is such a shame that we have put our trust on "American Made" and spent $45 to $55k on our vehicles just to find out they are made very poorly, and even worse, that their makers don't care about their consumers... maybe that's why they are in so much financial trouble, they just simply can't produce a good quality and reliable vehicle any longer.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

73shark March 13th, 2010 10:02 PM

Welcome to the forum.

At least on when you release the accelerator pedal on a Tahoe, the vehicle slows down. ;)

s1hester April 1st, 2010 4:18 PM

2007 chevy tahoe cracked dashboard

I have a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz that is garage kept, it is 3 and half years old...there is not way that it should have a crack in the dashboard....i went to the chevy dealer and they gave me the chevy number to contact, i called them and i got the run around, i was so mad...they said that is normal wear and tear for this vehicle, it is a 55 thousand dollar truck and that is the normal wear and tear on it??? wow i have been a chevy man my whole life and now i am NOT...I am a dissabled iraqi war vet and they will not pay for what they should...It is the same exact crack in the dash as the pics on here...how can that not be manufacturing defect, does anyone on here have another person i can call about it...i am writing my news paper and tv stations and anyone who will listen...i am so upset with chevy right now for a luxury vehicle having these problems...

VanGo April 2nd, 2010 8:33 AM

I have a '93 and my dash is cracked. I would be real upset if I owned a later model like you guys and had the problem. My '77 Dodge van sat outside it's entire life and the dash is still perfect. Likewise my '95 Ford and my '99 GM Seville STS.
I'm going to end up getting a dash cap for $100 or so for the 'burb.

ousig2408 April 2nd, 2010 10:49 AM

there is no real reason for these to crack other than temperature extremes. I think even all front windshields have UV protection w/o regular tint all of us are used to. I am sure this is a pretty major expense to replace so GM is giving run arounds. Has anyone had any recommendations on how to prevent this or just luck of the draw if yours does not crack?
My wife drives our 07 Tahoe so I am going to make sure she keeps a window shade up all summer - gets hot here in Dallas

VanGo April 2nd, 2010 1:22 PM

I was told by an Arizona immigrant that everyone back there uses those dash carpets for protection.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 2nd, 2010 5:12 PM

All of those having these problems I would like to speak with each of your separately if I could. I will try to PM all of you but if I don't get to you by tomorrow please message me here or you can e-mail me using the e-mail associated with this account. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service.

73shark April 2nd, 2010 7:55 PM

Two things that I can think of that could cause the crack are the pad is installed in a stressed condition or there was a defect in the covering. Suspect the latter since there have been several here and in other forums and all in the same location.

s1hester April 2nd, 2010 8:00 PM

Jeff Morris, customer service

I was contacted by jeff morris and i do thank him for taking his time to contact all of us, i hope this will help all of us out, i was in the army and i may have jumped the gun, in the army if you have a problem and it does not get resolved then you take it to the next level, I did write my congressman here in Alabama and my congressman in Texas where I am from...I am not trying to get anyone in trouble but just dont want people to have to go through the same hassle that many of us have went through...I have had so man GM products and this is the first one that has had something like this go wrong and it is the one that i have babied the most...It has been kept in the garage since i have owned it...I have noticed that when it gets hot the crack goes together and when it is colder the crack gets bigger and spreads wider...I am an Amercian Vet who loves to support his country and buy American made, i really hope that GM fixes this problem, there quality is too good for this crap...

Thumper_ehhhhh April 2nd, 2010 8:13 PM

I have been watching all the theard on the 07+ burbs hoes and kons. From what I can tell the quiality has gone down holl sence the 00-06 body style. Is it just me or have any of you noticed that too? 07+ are a nicer truck but seems to have alot of stuff falling apart way to early on them.

73shark April 2nd, 2010 9:01 PM

I don't think there has been more than the normal amount of stuff for a complete new design rollout. Bet if you go back to when the GMT800s came out, there was the same rash of problems. A lot of the issues have surrounded the use of a LAN for comm w/ all of the different modules. Software is a bitch.

s1hester April 3rd, 2010 11:13 AM

Update on Customer Service

Well Jeff Morris from customer service said he reviewed my case and that my GMPP had expired and did not cover the Dash...Well this is not the point here, GM should fix what they broke...The quality of a GM luxury vehicle should not have cracks int he dash after 3 years...I was an American Soldier fighting for America and to see an American product like this brinkgs a tear to my eye, they are pretty much telling me i should buy a foreign vehicle...This is unacceptable for GM to do and then try to force the customer into paying for this replacement....If it happend in one or 2 vehicles then i could understand but 100's of vehicles...there should be a recall, not cause of safety reasons but cause it is the right thing for GM to do...

bamafutbal April 3rd, 2010 12:39 PM

just got my response from j morris and i also got a big fat NO. guess its time to start bad mouthing chevy and start looking at a new/used MB GL450. considering putting the "tahoe is a lemon/ don't buy gm" on my back window. of course would have to make that message disappear before i trade it in
GM SUCKS:mad:

s1hester April 3rd, 2010 9:47 PM

gm customer service

Yeah i really dont know what Mr Morris is doing on this page if he is not really going to help, at first i really thought he was going to do some good but he is just like the rest of them...They act like it is money coming out of their pocket...we will see what my congressman has to say about this and if they cant help then i will find someone else anyone else that will listen to me...Chevy will wind up replacing my dash the easy way or the hard way...enough bad publicity about their quality and they will replace it...I have written a few letters already to the local media around here and to CNN...i went on the National Highway Transportatin Saftey Adminstration and filed a complaint with GM there, the state attorney general office /Consumer Protection Agency...I will not stop will GM repairs it...I will spend more money than the dash is worth so that they fix this...The crack above the air bag could also be a safety issue...if anyone has any luck with getting theirs repaired please post it so the rest of us can follow suit...

bamafutbal April 3rd, 2010 11:03 PM

s1hester, the crack around the passenger bag is a very good angle. we need to be sure to keep ALL names, dates. places and times when we talk to anyone related to gm/chevy. specifics matter when possible legal action is on the horizon

twrchief April 4th, 2010 8:15 PM

Crack on Dash

Guys,

I've been reading your postings regarding this "misterious" crack we all seem to be getting in our vehicles. I don't know about you all but I believe this is a manufacturer's flaw and I for one am not going to take this sitting down. I'm really disappointed, and I don't believe we should be having these issues with $50,000 vehicles, these are not your avarage cheap cars.

I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and I am going to refference this website and another one I found with people who had the same issue.

My warranty just expired, but I promise you GM will fix this or they will deal with some really bad publicity!!

1OHANA7 April 13th, 2010 9:22 AM

So we were one of the lucky ones whose burb was still under warranty when we got the crack but not without a confrontation with the dealer who sold it to us. Ours is an 08, LT 1500...and the dash cracked after 18 months..:( Now we're 50 miles over the 36k/3yr mark and looking at getting an extended warranty...NOT from the dealer who sold it to us and prob a GM warranty.

Don't want to get this thread off track, but if anyone can direct me to a RECENT thread about the GM Extended Warranty, or share their thoughts via PM we'd appreciate it. Seeing (and sharing) in the frustration of a defective dash has us more concerned now about mechanical issues that may or may not be covered later on down the line.

Thanks.

in2pro April 13th, 2010 4:55 PM

Knock on plastic... my 07 is just now 3yrs old per the manufacture date (2.5 my ownership) no crack yet living it Texas, however she is garage kept at home and work so this could be helping...

MouserMike April 15th, 2010 9:30 AM

2 Inch Crack from Airbag towards windshield

I have a 2007 Tahoe LT and noticed a crack about 2 months ago. I have a 5yr/75K mile extended GM warranty and the dealer is telling me the dash replacement is not covered. I have 53K miles on the Tahoe. Estimated cost to replace is about $480 + 4 hours of labor (warranty Labor Op states 2.8 hours). I'm calling the warranty 1-800 number today. Btw, located in Dallas area and the Tahoe is garaged, so don't let the fact that yours is in a garage make you think you will be crack free. My 2004 didn't have this problem and I lived in Phoenix at the time.

Update: Extended GM "warranty" is not a warranty, just an "extended service contract" that only covers driveability and mechanical, not interior. Funny how they do cover the peeling chrome door handle replacement...