Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked???????? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2007-tahoe-ltz-dash-has-cracked-26133/)

SabrToothSqrl April 15th, 2010 9:50 AM

well...

you could always roll it off an exit ramp and pickup a ford ;) or Toyota... or the X5 i actually wanted... but the insurance was WAY too high...

in2pro April 15th, 2010 1:13 PM

Originally Posted by MouserMike (Post 140959)
Update: Extended GM "warranty" is not a warranty, just an "extended service contract" that only covers driveability and mechanical, not interior. Funny how they do cover the peeling chrome door handle replacement...

The chrome is probably covered because it is a potential liability and you could get cut and sue GM for it...not so much for the cracked dash...

SabrToothSqrl April 16th, 2010 8:03 AM

extended

are you talking about the 5 year 60,000 bumper to bumper i paid $940 for or the 5 year 100,000 power train?

73shark April 17th, 2010 6:07 PM

Here's the best place I could find for a GMPP extended warranty: http://gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

My dealer couldn't match and said it was less than what he had to pay.

j1828l April 21st, 2010 12:25 AM

What's going on with Chevy!!!

I noticed the crack back in Dec 09.:mad: I brought my truck to the dealers to have them replace the dash. They said that they couldn't because I didn't have an extended warrenty. I had just over 36k miles on the truck. I got a quote while I was there and it came back at $980 bucks! :eek: The service Department told me they hadn't seen any other complaints about this and made it sound like I didn't take care of my vehicle. Of course the Florida sun beating on anything can't be good so my windshield was titnted the week I purchased the truck. Not just the top strip but the entire window. My door handles are peeling as well and the caps on the power ports have been long gone. Chevy and GM are the only dealers who havent dropped their prices. I looked at the same truck in a 2009 model and it is stickered 8 thousand more than what I paid for mine. The salesman tried to tell me it had different features but low and behold out came my original window sticker to prove him wrong:). I thought I was getting the run-around because I am a young woman.

73shark April 21st, 2010 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forum.

If this is the dealer that you bought it from, then shame on them. My dealer replaced the intermediate shaft (a long time known problem) on my wife's 2004 Tahoe w/ 40K+ mi last year and chalked it up to customer satisfaction.

I'd go to the Service Mgr and then to the GM and then to the owner. Tell them a less than "Completely Satisfied" rating is in their future if they can't do something for you. Dashes shouldn't crack, period.

twrchief April 25th, 2010 2:15 PM

More issues with my 08 burb ltz

Well guys,

I had read in previous postings of others having issues with the door handles... well, guess what, my driver's side and left side passenger door handles are about to come off! just like that. I've had other issues in the past were the GM mechanics weren't able to find the issue, here's a list of my issues:

1. Drilling noise coming from the AC unit when cold started during hot weather - GM mechanics could never hear it or find the issue

2. Vibration on the front tires when traveling above 70mph - I was told by GM mechanics the problem was the tires, aparently they performed a stress test on them and 3 out of 4 were bad, they replaced them - the problem is still there. My Burb came with 20 inch factory chrome spoke wheels, but they never checked the rims!

3. Crack on the dash - appeared out of the blue - my vehicle is garaged 80% of the time.

4. When going over speed bumps I hear a not so pleasant noise coming out of the back, don't know if it's the shock absorbers, suspension, or what.

5. Slight transmission skip when shifting on reverse (not constant).

6. Last but not least, the newest, door handles are coming off!

And did I mentioned my Burb is only 2 years old!!!

I love the looks of my vehicle and the equipment that came with it, but I can't help but to feel I was sold a lemon, a very expensive lemon at that... at least it looks good (that's about it I guess)!!:mad:

SabrToothSqrl April 26th, 2010 7:45 AM

wow

and here I thought MY tahoe was crap... my problem list is shorter than yours, but it's been to the dealer 30+ odd times?! i usually have them print all the invoices ($free) just to make a point...

If the Ford Edge towed 5,000 lbs... the Tahoe would be SOLD...

Chevrolet Customer Service April 27th, 2010 11:28 AM

Twrchief, I have recently responded back to the direct message you sent me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

1OHANA7 April 27th, 2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by twrchief (Post 142171)
Well guys,

I had read in previous postings of others having issues with the door handles... well, guess what, my driver's side and left side passenger door handles are about to come off! just like that. I've had other issues in the past were the GM mechanics weren't able to find the issue, here's a list of my issues:

1. Drilling noise coming from the AC unit when cold started during hot weather - GM mechanics could never hear it or find the issue

2. Vibration on the front tires when traveling above 70mph - I was told by GM mechanics the problem was the tires, aparently they performed a stress test on them and 3 out of 4 were bad, they replaced them - the problem is still there. My Burb came with 20 inch factory chrome spoke wheels, but they never checked the rims!

3. Crack on the dash - appeared out of the blue - my vehicle is garaged 80% of the time.

4. When going over speed bumps I hear a not so pleasant noise coming out of the back, don't know if it's the shock absorbers, suspension, or what.

5. Slight transmission skip when shifting on reverse (not constant).

6. Last but not least, the newest, door handles are coming off!

And did I mentioned my Burb is only 2 years old!!!

I love the looks of my vehicle and the equipment that came with it, but I can't help but to feel I was sold a lemon, a very expensive lemon at that... at least it looks good (that's about it I guess)!!:mad:

twrchief - you sure you're not driving my 08 burb? ;) All but item #5 on your list has happened on ours. Let me know what you find out, I'll be interested to see what/if your dealer does anything about it. Our Burb has had the handles replaced, as well as the steering wheel center piece, that started to peel as well:confused:

73shark April 27th, 2010 3:26 PM

Originally Posted by twrchief (Post 142171)

A GM guy on this forum said that was caused by liquid refrigerant going thru the compressor. I always thought this was a bad thing but he said they basically overcharge to get the good cooling that they do.

ChevyguyArmen April 28th, 2010 1:27 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 140976)
The chrome is probably covered because it is a potential liability and you could get cut and sue GM for it...not so much for the cracked dash...

yea I got the GM Major Guard for my 07 Tahoe since its still under factory warranty right now. If you actually go through your documentation on the Major Guard, it is not a true bumper to bumper. It does not cover interior parts, trim, rattles, squeaks, paint etc and alot of other stuff. I got the 0 deductable one also. It seems like it only covers the major things but I guess thats why its called Major Guard.

ChevyguyArmen April 28th, 2010 1:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1OHANA7 (Post 142441)
twrchief - you sure you're not driving my 08 burb? ;) All but item #5 on your list has happened on ours. Let me know what you find out, I'll be interested to see what/if your dealer does anything about it. Our Burb has had the handles replaced, as well as the steering wheel center piece, that started to peel as well:confused:

i have the same noise comming from the rear end when i hit speend bumps etc going slow. Its like a errrg sound like you are spinning out or something. Im taking it in tomorrow for this.

73shark April 29th, 2010 8:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyguyArmen (Post 142592)
yea I got the GM Major Guard for my 07 Tahoe since its still under factory warranty right now. If you actually go through your documentation on the Major Guard, it is not a true bumper to bumper. It does not cover interior parts, trim, rattles, squeaks, paint etc and alot of other stuff. I got the 0 deductable one also. It seems like it only covers the major things but I guess thats why its called Major Guard.

Let us know when you come across a B2B warranty that covers "interior parts, trim, rattles, squeaks, paint etc".

ChevyguyArmen April 30th, 2010 9:48 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 142750)
Let us know when you come across a B2B warranty that covers "interior parts, trim, rattles, squeaks, paint etc".

that won't happen lol. I will settle for the major guard i bought. I'll probally have traded or sold my Tahoe before that warranty is even over.

73shark April 30th, 2010 4:52 PM

Did you know that you can get a refund for the unused part of the GMPP?

twrchief May 14th, 2010 6:20 PM

Gm has come through

Guys,

I just got a call today from GM, they are replacing my dash, fixing my door handles, and everything else that's wrong with my 08 Burb.

I think they are starting to accept the fact these are factory defects, and that it would be better for them to address the individual coplaints oppossed to putting out a recall. For once they would have to spend a lot of money and replace these items for everybody with these particula vehicles, even if they haven't experienced these issues.

Anyway, I suggest you all contact GM directly and let them handle these issues for you, it is only fair. Here's their contact information:

Chevrolet/GMC Customer Service - 1-800-222-1020

My friend called today and they are escalating the issue for him, he also has the famous crack on the dash.

Good luck guys!!!!!!

twrchief May 14th, 2010 6:23 PM

Rear Noise

Originally Posted by ChevyguyArmen (Post 142594)
i have the same noise comming from the rear end when i hit speend bumps etc going slow. Its like a errrg sound like you are spinning out or something. Im taking it in tomorrow for this.

I was told today that it was the drive shaft, which they replaced!!! So apparently this is another factory defect on our vehicles.

Good Luck!!

Dan75208 July 6th, 2010 1:42 PM

I also have the infamous crack on my dash and it is about 9inchs and still growing. Kinda sucks cause everyone is starting to notice it once they get in my truck. I've called the dealership and they have said that it is not under warranty and that I should start using "Armor All" even though it is not UV protection.

ousig2408 July 6th, 2010 2:22 PM

Originally Posted by twrchief (Post 144325)
I was told today that it was the drive shaft, which they replaced!!! So apparently this is another factory defect on our vehicles.

Good Luck!!

I took my Tahoe in for the same noise - have to replace the slip yoke with an "updated" one. this piece is on backorder (I guess lots of these problems). it is under the 5year/100k warranty so will be replaced for free.

73shark July 6th, 2010 9:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan75208 (Post 149242)
I also have the infamous crack on my dash and it is about 9inchs and still growing. Kinda sucks cause everyone is starting to notice it once they get in my truck. I've called the dealership and they have said that it is not under warranty and that I should start using "Armor All" even though it is not UV protection.

I wouldn't recommend using Armor All on anything except wheelhouse liners. It's mostly water and will ruin interior chrome plated plastic trim and letters. Turns tires brown. Makes interiors smell bad.

Thumper_ehhhhh July 7th, 2010 7:21 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 149297)
I wouldn't recommend using Armor All on anything except wheelhouse liners. It's mostly water and will ruin interior chrome plated plastic trim and letters. Turns tires brown. Makes interiors smell bad.

I second this. All it does is dry out plastic and rubber and promotes cracking. There are plenty more products out there that do the job much better. As for your dealer saying its not covered. Maybe you can contact some on here and request copies of theres being covered by gm and bring that to them. They might change there tune once they see others have been covered.

bamafutbal July 7th, 2010 8:47 PM

this is from armor all when i emailed them and told them that a chevy service guy blamed me for using armor all on the dash which caused the dash to crack.

Reference Number: 6013862
Dear Mr. Stinson,

Thank you for contacting us about your Armor All Protectant Wipes. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We are aware that tire companies and car makers like to blame our product for the cracks in the dash. However, most of them believe our product is made of petroleum which would dry out and crack the dash. Our product has never contained petroleum it is a water based silicone emulsion. Our product has been thoroughly tested and will not harm the dashboard. I would contact GM again and find out if your dash is painted? Many companies are now painting the dashboards and our product is not designed for painted surfaces. We wish companies would put it in their owner's manuals, however, they don't. I know GM is now painting some of their dashes. I find it strange that other Tahoe owners are getting cracks in the same place, it sounds to me like they may have a defect in the dash. I would find it hard to believe that every one of the owner's used Armor All and that they would crack in the same place. I hope this information will help you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

http://raiden/CloroxProd/StandardLet...OOPERblank.bmp

in2pro July 7th, 2010 9:08 PM

I do not apply anything to my dash other then a damp cloth to clean it now and then, my dash is not cracked (knock on wood) thou my vehicle is garaged at home and work adn I live in Texas where it gets plenty hot.
I wholly believe the defect lies with the manufacture (GM) based on the number of complaints in this forum alone.
I agree with the statement from the letter from Amor-all that the likely hood of all the cracked dashes used armor-all is well not likely....

It would be my opinion that the compound the dash is manufactured from (PPE) is not holding up well with the thermal expansion extreams at that particular stress point.
The dash panel should be able to float a bit more rather then be fasten down.

73shark July 7th, 2010 9:11 PM

Emphasis on the water part of the formula.

twrchief July 11th, 2010 7:44 PM

Hello Guys,

Did you all read my last posting about how everything was fixed? I am not under warranty, and seems to me that GM doesn't want to put out a "recall" because it would cost them more money to do that than to replace our individual issues.

Contact GM directly and they will tell you to go to a dealership so they can "diagnose" and "document" your issues... DO NOT GIVE UP, THESE ARE FACTORY DEFECTS!!!!!

73shark July 11th, 2010 9:43 PM

Check out post #6429 here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...b/6426#MSG6426

Seems that there is another GM CS rep.

md1735 July 24th, 2010 9:28 AM

anyone getting any additional feedback from GM to the dash issue? I keep sending msgs and no one responds.

vrso2 July 24th, 2010 6:02 PM

2007 burb - 57k miles

handles chrome peal off on psg. side :( My wife cut her finger already :(

Ill go to talk to my attorney and then dealership.

73shark July 25th, 2010 4:14 PM

Why that order? Why not see if the dealer will replace under customer satisfaction? Why feed another lawyer if you don't have to?

ousig2408 July 26th, 2010 7:30 AM

just an example of "sue happy" America...costing all of us more in the end. Like shark says, go talk to the dealership 1st

in2pro July 26th, 2010 10:05 PM

I think its more venting/saber rattling then sue happy...as common as it seems to be getting (dash cracking) I'd be a little peeved too...
A level head and calm approach and cooperation can go a long way at the dealer... It got me a set of dealer only o-rings for free the other day..

vrso2 July 26th, 2010 10:30 PM

;) relax guys ;)

I was joking ;)

ousig2408 July 27th, 2010 7:27 AM

America is still sue happy but sorry for jumping on you...I was a little worked up at the time. good luck with everything

KGBOND July 29th, 2010 7:11 PM

I too have the same dash crack in my 07 Tahoe. Should I contact the dealer? Are they aware of this manufacturing problem?

73shark July 29th, 2010 8:22 PM

Welcome to the forum.

If you've established a cordial relationship w/ your dealer's service dept, you might get some relief.

bamafutbal July 29th, 2010 9:22 PM

kgbond, sorry for your crack also. be sure to contact gm by calling their 800 number and getting a claim number. more of us the better

Allana July 31st, 2010 1:11 PM

Dash Board crack

Please let me know if anyone has had their problems resolved with Chevy and the dashboard issue. I have been is contact with GM for the last year and I have gotten nowhere . I am very upset and I know that I am not the only one.

bamafutbal July 31st, 2010 8:29 PM

no luck with gm or the dealer

Thumper_ehhhhh July 31st, 2010 10:29 PM

Maybe you guys should get copies of receipts from members who have had this problem covered. That way you can bring that to the dealer and GM to show that it has been covered and yes there is a problem with there trucks.