Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ Towing

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 10:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ Towing

Anyone have any experience with towing with one of these trucks? More importantly, with setup as related to the Autoride system?

I am not happy with the dealer's way of setting up my trailer/truck. They did a fine job with the Envoy, it was level, etc. This one, prior to loading, the receiver is maybe 3-4 inches taller than the envoys? They only moved the ball down one notch on the shank, and the yahoo doing it I don't think understands how autoride works.

Then again, I don't even know. Do you adjust prior to starting the truck? After the truck is on and autoride has adjusted? How much travel is left?

It would seem to me that autoride is going to continue to adjust, so you would want the truck/trailer to be as level as possible after it adjusts?

Color me confused lol. Any help?
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Personally I found a trailer ball hitch with about a nine inch drop to work with my jet ski trailer in keeping the tongue level. If the Autoride is functioning properly, the ball height should not change once the vehicle is started between unloaded and loaded. That's the whole purpose is to maintain a constant ride height.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks 73shark,

But won't the system vent a little if the truck is off with a loaded weight on it that is that significant?

My truck had the air compressor replaced a couple months ago, and the rear shocks a couple weeks ago. I've tested the system, and to me, it is functioning properly.

My concern is how to properly adjust the WD hitch head for towing. For instance, if the truck is off, and the load is applied, the truck rear will lower and the autolevel will not be active at this point. So at this point, would you want to adjust the hitch to try to move more load to the front, prior to the autolevel working or not?

Then the secondary part would be, at all subsequent hookups, would you drop it on the hitch, without the aid of autolevel and then snap up the spring bars, or would you drop it on, let it autolevel and then snap up the spring bars.

From all the reading I've done across multiple forums, there doesn't seem to be a concise answer on this.
Old June 27th, 2014, 2:30 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't have the auto ride so my input will be limited for experience (I use a 6 inch drop for my hitch, btw) But I think the goal you will want is to keep the auto leveling activity to a minimum....
You might be best off trying both ways to see which one gives you the better ride AND control...
If you load down the hitch its going to auto level no matter what...
Old June 27th, 2014, 2:39 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd adjust the hitch w/ the Autoride on, IOW w/ the truck running. It may settle a little when off but do you care?.

IIRC, the average trailer hitch height is around 19".
Old June 28th, 2014, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks guys, I think I may have it figured out. I just hope I don't have to buy a new shank!

I asked the guys at etrailer as well, and they gave some tips on how to make the adjustments, and said the proper way to do it would be to let it autolevel and then snap up the spring bars.

I don't know how quickly the system reacts but the action of snapping up the spring bars requires to raise the back of the truck and trailer up prior to. Looks like I will be figuring this all out next week sometime...