Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Stabilitrak Nearly Killed ME!

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe Stabilitrak Nearly Killed ME!

Hi all, new to forum and I searched about this but didn't find the same issue, so if this is a re-post or already covered, I apologize.

I was driving home tonight in my '07 Tahoe LS 2wd w/stabilitrak. I was doing between 40-50 on a well maintained highway and it was snowing. The roads were starting to get slippery, but nothing terrible. My tahoe suddenly started braking causing me to lose control and I saw the stabilitrak light blinking on the instrument panel. Luckily I was able to regain control and get off the highway, I was literally inches from slamming into the divider and honestly don't know how I didn't wreck and flip. I should have crashed tonight, thank God I did not.
Is this a known issue with stabillitrak? I have had it do some goofy stuff before regarding braking where I suppose it "thought" it was slipping and needed to brake, but nothing as serious as this. I am now ready to get rid of the truck as I HONESTLY feel that it is going to kill or seriously injure me or my family. Any suggestions?
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/stabilitrack-light-always-got-%22check-brake-system%22-message-18614/ heres 1 of the same prob.. i bet that scard the **** outta you!!!! i know i would need new underwear after that. if this doesnt help theres a "search" tab at the top might try searching stabilitrak should come up with some more things. also you might try going to a dealer to see what it is
Old March 20th, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know exactly what you might call "too slippery" but stabilitrak is for dry snow, loose dirt, and rain primarily. You should disable it on slushy snow and ice.
Old March 20th, 2010, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

It was dry snow, and no one can gauge another's opinion of hazardous conditions. All I can say is that I am a confident driver and the roads were well within my driving ability.

As for turning off the stabilitrak, I CANNOT turn it off. There is a button that is supposed to turn it off, however, it turns itself back on if the vehicle begins to slip or slide. It has a mind of its own.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I don't know exactly what you might call "too slippery" but stabilitrak is for dry snow, loose dirt, and rain primarily. You should disable it on slushy snow and ice.
Stabilitrack should not be disabled on slushy snow and ice. Where did you get this idea? The whole point of the system is to help the driver maintain control in adverse conditions.
Old March 21st, 2010, 9:20 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First if you are have brakes/Stabilitrak problems, you definitely want to drive carefully to your dealer's service dept.

Second probably the only time you'd want to turn it off is doing donuts in a parking lot or going off-road although I can't imagine anyone taking a $50K+ truck off-road, espicially if it's got 20" wheels.

I haven't read it for awhile but you might see what the owner's manual has to say if you haven't already.
Old February 11th, 2011, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default I think im having a nightmare

I have had lots.... Of problems with our 06 chevy trailblazer fuel sensor has gone out three times, which is scary when u think you gas then your cars freezes up. We needed a new engine at 76,000miles we have records to show we have kept up on ghe maintenance. Now r stabilatrack kicks on and off very scary!!!! Lights have just cut off at night for no reason. Im a mil wife with three kids we have not got what we have paid For chevy!!! We trusted this company to keep us safe! And we have nothing but worries
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM
CF Senior Member

we had a lot of snow/ice in Dallas over the past few weeks and our Tahoe was very solid even when the stabilitrak came on...I would take it to the dealer to make sure a sensor is not bad. It would not take much to throw the system out of wack - though there should be features to prevent something that the OP experienced
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default staibli

I LOVE my stabili track in my 09 4WD Tahoe..

did you forget to buy the 4x4 part? (just kidding)

as for disabling it, are you disabling it or just T/C

to disable traction control, you press the button.

to disable everything you press and HOLD the button until the DIC says "are you nuts"

every engine restart however will turn everything back on.

I LOVE stabili track and I LOVE being able to turn it off.

even in 2WD, with it on in a snow covered lot, I floor it and point the wheel, the truck does the rest. when I want to have some fun, I turn off the t/c and floor it and spin in circles until i throw up... then i turn it back on!

anyway, read the manual for more info on disableing Stabilitrac and or T/C if you so choose.
Old February 15th, 2011, 9:01 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I turn off the t/c and floor it and spin in circles until i throw up... then i turn it back on!
Lol that's funny