Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe w/ poor XM radio sound quality

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
davemec

Default RE: 2007 Tahoe w/ poor XM radio sound quality

73shark,
I posted awhile back that my radio did the same thing yours does. When changeinig the EQ, it changes for all sources, and when selecting talk it changes to talk for all sources and I have to reset the EQ levels to get it off of talk. According to Dave/ZX, they are working on an update to the radio software to fix some of these issues, but he wasn't sure when they would have it done.

Dave,
Have you heard anything about this software update for the radio?
Old November 8th, 2006, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tahoedave- I have an LTZ without Nave also and I get big bass from the Bose system. I have my bass set at about 65% and sometimes it is too much. I also have pretty good XM clarity, close to the CD. Although I don't like XM as the programming is terrible, commercials on some channels and it drops out all the time (Sirius is the way!). I am waiting for the 90 day trial to be up, but I have already decided I will be going back to Sirius, much better sound, programming and no drops anywhere I have driven. XM drops around large houses, let alone bridges and mountain roads...
Old November 8th, 2006, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Hmm. Thanks for the info Scooter. I assumed from other posts that the poor quality I am experiencing from the Bose system, and XM in particular, was normal. I guess if you're experiencing something better, I should have the dealer take a listen.
Old November 8th, 2006, 6:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have XM in another vehicle, GM or other so we can tell if it is an XM thing or a Tahoe thing? My other vehicle has XM but it is a roady and not internal to the radio.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM
CF Active Member

I had XM with the Bose radio in my 03 silverado crew cab and it worked and sounded good,
there was a regular spot on my way to work that it would fade for a few seconds.
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Haven't heard Sirius but the only time I've heard commercials is when the programming goes to commercial. As far as dropouts, the only time mine drops out is when under an overpass or in a tunnel.
Old November 9th, 2006, 6:48 AM
CF Junior Member

guys..realize XM just sucks, and thats the way it is. Sirius in my opinion is even worse (Sirius uses a PAC4 codec and it sounds horrible tinny). The problem with XM's AAC codec compression is that it cuts off the highs pretty bad. Setting the treble 2 notches from the highest really cleans up XM on the Tahoe Nav Bose. For anyone who is saying "my "whatever" plugged into the AUX sounds better" is probably using a device that is already equalized.

Go over to the XM forums and there are multiyear long threads on the quality issues with XM.
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM
CF Active Member

For anyone who is saying "my "whatever" plugged into the AUX sounds better" is probably using a device that is already equalized.
Nope. My Sirius receiver does not have an equalizer. It is the cheap $49 receiver.
Old November 9th, 2006, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Had Sirius for 3 years before getting the Hoe, never had it drop except in a tunnel. With the technology of repeaters it should not drop, but it does in the Hoe. On a 20 mile trip down to Denver, it will drop 5 times on the highway! In the mountains, forget it! I don't have a sound quality issue with the Hoe and XM, is sounds nearly as good as CD. I just can't stand hearing the same song every 90 minutes regardless of station, and the drops all the time.

Install either of them right and get your EQ set, you should be able to get near CD quality. If you go plug and play, or FM modulation, you only get what you pay for...on a $40,000 truck, you oughtta get something that is nearly perfect!
Old November 9th, 2006, 6:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question about the free XM trial. How do you go about getting the free months?

I purchased my tahoe as a GM program vehicle with 5k miles. How do I know if the 3 free months were used? Is this something that was only given if it were a brand new purchase? Any help would be great!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe w/ poor XM radio sound quality