Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 suburban door lock issues

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 suburban door lock issues

I have a 2008 Suburban with a new very frustrating problem. We have just started noticing the doors wont always latch, sometimes while driving the doors will be in the open mode and open up on their own! also today we got trapped inside our car while all door handles would not open any door!!
Had to play with locks for about 15 mins before all of a sudden the doors opened up????

very confusing, very frustrating and extremely unsafe!
Anybody have any advice??

Could this be a low battery issue? or something in the computer?

Last edited by d450heavy; February 16th, 2014 at 2:55 PM.
Old March 5th, 2014, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by d450heavy
I have a 2008 Suburban with a new very frustrating problem. We have just started noticing the doors wont always latch, sometimes while driving the doors will be in the open mode and open up on their own! also today we got trapped inside our car while all door handles would not open any door!!
Had to play with locks for about 15 mins before all of a sudden the doors opened up????

Did you find a solution. This happened to me however I still cant get my driver side door to open so I can look for a problem
Old March 6th, 2014, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

I did have the vehicle looked at by a Chevrolet tech and so far the door locks have not done it again. and nothing was found by Tech. The only thing we could figure out was we possibly got water or snow that fell behind the glass and landed on the door lock module on the drivers side door. I was told that both front doors have small modules that send the signals to all the door locks to a computer. when you press the door lock button it sends a signal through a module telling a computer in the car to unlock or lock the doors. Best advice I can give you is have your car checked by a Chevy Tech with the new scan tool. This might find you have a bad door lock module or try to park inside and let it dry out completely? the only thing we could come up with was this happened while we had a bad snow storm and the idea was that possibly when the car warmed up on the inside the snow and ice made its way to the module causing a short in the system. but honestly I have no idea why it happened but its not happened since tech looked at it with scan tool.
Old March 12th, 2014, 5:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by d450heavy

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear of this problem that you are having with your vehicle. I am not a technician and cannot offer technical advice but I will be glad to look further into your concern for you. Please send us a private message referencing your concern if we can be of any extra assistance. We look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 13th, 2014, 9:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2009 Suburban Drivers door has done the same thing a few times to my wife and once to me. we have had to use a combination of opening the front window and cycling the lock unlock switch a few times until it finally releases the door latch. there have also been a few times that the door latch refuses to engage, (my guess is that its the same issue electrically speaking) and so the drivers door just "bounces" back open as you go to close it. again cycling the locks eventually works to get the latch to work properly. The safety issue I see is that the mechanical linkage does not override the powered(?) latch and so the passenger is at the "electrical system's" mercy to be allowed to exit. On a side note we bought it used already out of warranty... I did get the factory service manuals, all 6 volumes... so far it has been useful for the charcoal canister, break calipers (torque values for tightening the bolts), etc.