Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 suburban oil consumption issue

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2017, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 suburban oil consumption issue

I bought a used Chevy suburban from Chevy dealer. At 105,000 miles. I was originally happy with purchase because I have 4 young boys and need a large vehicle. I quickly have learned that the vehicle drinks oil and just started blowing smoke out exhaust after driving and then sitting for 8 hours. I called dealer and talked to my cousin in another state that is a parts manager for Chevrolet dealer. They both said this is a known problem with these vehicles. A design flaw that if taken into dealer they will start with $500 "fix". Then a $2500 "fix". They then revealed to me that it would be a 50% chance of this expensive gamble of actually fixing the problem. I feel I have been cheated by dealer and Chevrolet! It clearly is a design flaw that GM is not taking responsibility for. It is shameful that they are willing to take advantage of people with families in order to hide from a flaw that they should recall. Please beware if buying 5.3 L motor with AFM. If not fixed I probably will never own another Chevrolet, which is a shame because my family has owned Chevy trucks all my life!
Old January 8th, 2017, 1:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That's why I bought an '08 Suburban 2500. The 6.0 does not have AFM. Ditto my '09 Sierra - the 6.2 also does not have AFM. I believe all engines now have AFM in the current model year.

When I'm ready to buy my next truck, if I can't find a non-AFM GM truck, I'll be looking to buy either a blue oval or a sheep.