Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 suburban convert autoride suspension

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 suburban convert autoride suspension

I've been getting the dreaded service suspension light for a while now and come to find out the pump and air bags need to be replaced. I've read that it's quite costly and the better route is to just convert it.

Question is for those that have done it or are planning to, what all do I need?
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

You better check and see what code is stored in the system as you are confusing two different systems. Autoride is the system that uses electronic shocks on all four corners with a sensor at each corner also. It adjusts the ride dependent on several things such as speed, cornering and suspension travel. The air compressor and air shocks in the rear only are a complete different system that just adjusts ride height in the rear only. I believe some companies such as strutmasters have a conversion kit for the level ride system. I know of no one offering a conversion for the Autoride system(electronic shocks).
Old January 11th, 2017, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldstuff
You better check and see what code is stored in the system as you are confusing two different systems. Autoride is the system that uses electronic shocks on all four corners with a sensor at each corner also. It adjusts the ride dependent on several things such as speed, cornering and suspension travel. The air compressor and air shocks in the rear only are a complete different system that just adjusts ride height in the rear only. I believe some companies such as strutmasters have a conversion kit for the level ride system. I know of no one offering a conversion for the Autoride system(electronic shocks).
It's whatever system the compressor is connected to. When I took it in last time they said the compressor was shot and the air ride system in the rear needed replacing.

Truck rides fine, it just has the service suspension message on it and the compressor no longer runs. I was told it's burned out due to it running constantly since the system isn't working anymore.
Old January 11th, 2017, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

I'm sure strutmasters does have a conversion for that. Just install regular shocks and they offer a solution for keeping the light off. If your suburban also has autoride then I don't think any one has come up with a solution for that.
Old January 11th, 2017, 7:09 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Arnott, a forum sponsor, has a conversion kit.
Old January 12th, 2017, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, Arnott is a good company. Sorry they slipped my mind and I didn't mean to step on any toes as I'm new to the forum and didn't realize they were a sponsor.