Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 suburban radio prob

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 suburban radio prob

2009 LTZ suburban with Navi. When you start it sometimes the unit appears dead, no sound from blinkers either. Turn the vehicle off then back on and it works, anybody seen this issue?
Old May 6th, 2015, 7:41 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi michaelmyers,

We certainly recognize how this may be concerning. Are there any specific conditions where you notice this occurs, such as after the vehicle sits for long periods of time? How long have you noticed this happening? If you'd like to PM us more details including your VIN, mileage, and contact info we're happy to look more into this.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sorta.

Originally Posted by michealmyers
2009 LTZ suburban with Navi. When you start it sometimes the unit appears dead, no sound from blinkers either. Turn the vehicle off then back on and it works, anybody seen this issue?

Well, GM in their... umm, let's go with 'wisdom' decided long ago that the turn signal noise, and the beep beep noise that occurs every time you do something like open the door, put down a window, or eject your passenger at highway speed, (and obviously it's the same beep no matter what's actually occurring, leaving you to wonder where the wife went, or maybe it's just the radio).

All are faked. Meaning they come from a computer that plays sounds through the stereo system / amplifier. This means that what you are experiencing is normal, however some part of said system is failing. I'm guessing it's the headunit.

Rather than using the traditional 12v means ON to the radio, GM uses a CANBUS with a signal that signals (get it?) the headunit to come on. Now this is fairly common in modern cars, just harder for a home mechanic to troubleshoot.

09 means you're out of warranty, and that OEM headunit isn't cheap. I'd check ebay, maybe you can find one from a wrecked GM.

Or, could be as simple as a fuse going bad.

Start cheap and work your way up.

you can also go aftermarket, but then you'll have to deal with the bluetooth integration and backup camera. (and the click click turn signal one)

Not impossible tasks, but not as plug and play as OEM.

Also, you'll need a Stealership to plug in a StarScan I, no wait, Tech 2? (I loose track between makes). Programmer for 20 seconds (while they bill you for an hour) to match the head unit to your VIN. (just in case you stole it from me for example). so tack on $60-120 to your plans.

in my 95 Tahoe the beep beep of 'you've left the key in OMG, it's in your ignition, someone could die because the door is open!!! beep beep!'... anyway, I found the source of said beeping... it was just a speaker shoved into a small computer looking thing. I removed it, and was transported to a distant land of delicious silence. I put my key in the ignition and... silence. It was perfect. I never put the speaker back.

BEEP BEEP, the key is in!!! Well no $hit, I just put it there. Stupid car.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; May 6th, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old October 16th, 2018, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michealmyers
Yes my 2010 avalanche is doing the same thing. Sometimes I have to turn off and on a few times to get it to work. Have you found a solution yet other than replacing the head unit