Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Z71 Annoying Surge/Shudder

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Z71 Annoying Surge/Shudder

I'm a newbie to this forum and the forum world in general. I recently purchased a new 2009 Z71 Tahoe with the 5.3 L engine and 6sp auto transmission. As of today the car is exactly 10 days old. After a few days of driving I noticed that it would shudder at low rpm (1500) under load, especially when traveling up hill at low speeds (10-15 mph). It will also surge when coasting at low speeds when coming to a stop. Took it in for service and the service manager road with me and verified what I was feeling. After running some diagnostics on it later while road testing they discovered that the EGR was high and the so was the timing. The service manager and tech drove 2 other new trucks that were on the lot and they said that they felt the same problem and that the graph read exactly the same as my Tahoe. Since they had never seen this before, they called GM tech support. They were told that this is normal and what I was feeling was high EGR going back into the engine to help with emissions. They also told the dealer that they had other cases reported, but the number was few. Tech support sent a program update and the dealer installed. Was supposed to help improve by 20%. Tech support also told the dealer they were not working on a fix at this point. The shudder/surge is most noticeable at about 5 to 10% throttle. Is this really normal? Anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Traded in an 04 LT that was great all the way until 92K and now I have a new one that doesn't even drive as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2009, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

I hear ya brother! I have your twin Tahoe and I'm noticing the same problem. Mine also has a rough idle. No major but a blip in the tach every 8-10 seconds. I just posted on the rough idle issue.
Old August 20th, 2009, 7:57 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shudder

my 09 does something similar, but usually only within the first 2-3 miles of driving, according to the manual the transmission has to warm up...
Old August 20th, 2009, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. I'm hoping that the noise level will get high enough that maybe GM will issue a program fix of some sort eventually.
Old August 20th, 2009, 1:49 PM
CF Senior Member

wow, i have never heard of so many problems with some of the newer chevy's.......i feel for you though...i would have that sucker back @ the stealership in no time ..demanding answers and prompt fixes...good luck
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Same thing going on here!

I took mine in for the exact same thing, and I was told that they "didn't really notice anything," and that "they all feel this way." That's fine that it's "common" -- but that doesn't mean it's RIGHT.

Glad to see other posts on this. I was hoping I wasn't losing my mind.

I'll be keeping track of this post. I'd sure like to hear if anyone gets anywhere with this issue. So far, no luck on my end.

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<
Old August 21st, 2009, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Mines going in Tuesday for the rough idle and surging/stumbling problem. I'll post their excuse for not doing anything.....
Old August 24th, 2009, 2:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Great. Keep us posted, please!
Old August 25th, 2009, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default They all do that.........BS!

I have heard back from the Service Department. They stated that there weren't any codes stored and everything is within spec. As expected, they said that the rough idle is a "normal" condition and the stumbling/slipping at low speed and normal accelaration is "normal" for this engine and transmission.

Anyone have any additional info that I can get them to check? I know the loaner (new Tahoe off lot) that they gave me for 4 days while I waited on my truck to be delivered was very smooth and didn't have these issues. I highly doubt they will let me trade the truck for the loaner.......... Hendricks doesn't place a high value on customer satisfaction.

Does anyone else have these symptoms?

Last edited by Caniac; August 25th, 2009 at 3:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Old August 25th, 2009, 7:43 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Might try 800-222-1020 or 800-457-8388.

I trust you are not going to give them a "Completely Satisfied" on the survey.

Quick Reply: 2009 Z71 Annoying Surge/Shudder