Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe-HORRIBLE Vibration at 75-80 mph

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe-HORRIBLE Vibration at 75-80 mph

I just had all new tires static balanced, both new u-joints in rear drive shaft, and drag link replaced. Any other suggestions for me?
I am a mother of a child with special needs, really want to find the issue and not be stranded on the side of the road or worse.
Old May 30th, 2018, 6:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell if the shudder is coming from the front or rear? You can also start with some simple things like making sure the wheels are properly mounted and the lug nuts are properly tightened/torqued. If you think it is an issue related to the work you had done you can take it back to the shop that did it, should be under warranty.
Old May 30th, 2018, 8:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

did the vibration start after the new tires were installed or was tire replacement a fix for the vibration?

static balancing is a short cut method of tire balancing. At minimum they should be dynamically balanced. In your case they should be roadforce balanced to determine if there is radial tire variation. RVT is a variation in the stiffness of the sidewall of the tire. It can be present on new tires and they can balance perfectly but shake violently. It can only be detected with roadforce balancing.

Is the vibration transmitted through the floor of the vehicle or into the steering wheel?

Not sure what part was replaced. tahoe's do not use drag links...drag links are used in coil and link (solid front axle suspensions). tahoe use parrallelogram or rack and pinion front suspension.

Last edited by tech2; May 30th, 2018 at 8:34 AM.
Old May 31st, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only road force balance now. Not worth hassle to not. Any place that doesn't is missing the boat.

Does the vibration increase with speed, or only occur at certain speeds? does it occur when braking or just accelerating?

are you able to take other passengers and help isolate the location, perhaps a specific area/tire?

Have you tried moving the tires around to see if it changes the situation?
Old June 7th, 2018, 12:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess i'd start with road force balancing. But maybe also have the ball joints checked as well as shocks, tie rod ends, etc. Only time I had a vibration at speed like that was a u-joint in the driveshaft, and replacing it fixed the issue.
Old June 7th, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to diagnose that kind of a thing over the internet. I doubt that it would be the U-Joints unless they really screwed something up bad. Probably a tire way out of balance.
Old June 11th, 2018, 9:04 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could also have a rim out of round?