Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Suburban Tuner for towing a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2016, 6:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KNERD
Maybe he should get an older model with the factory towing package which will push him closer to 10k towing capacity.
Only way you'd get a 10K towing capacity in a Burb is an older (pre 2007, GMT800) 3/4 ton. And they are EXTREMELY hard to find. Well, good ones with only 100k miles on them. Plenty of worn out ones with 200k on the clock.

Again, the trailer rating is worthless on most Suburbans, because you'll be over your GVWR or RAWR, in other words exceeding your max payload or rear axle weight, long before you get anywhere near the alleged "max trailer weight."
Old November 14th, 2016, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally home from a long stay job. I have looked up the gear ratio from the original window sticker and it says it is 3.42 with a GVW RATING of 7400 pounds.

I appreciate all the replies. I especially appreciate the advice on what I can do to alleviate my problem.

I have a questions about changing the rear end gearing.

1- Do you suggestion doing it?
2- If so what ratio would you change it to?
3- If I change the rear end do I need to change the front end for winter driving in 4WD?

My next question is should I invest in the Blackbear Tuner?
I have contacted them and I am awaiting a reply from them for their recommendations for a system.
Old November 14th, 2016, 9:13 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

#3. Both differentials have to have the same gears.
Old November 14th, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't regear both axles, you won't be able to use your 4WD. In fact, if you do only re-gear the rear (to save some money), I'd have the mechanic disable the 4wd system to prevent any damage in case it accidentally got engaged. But I'm not even sure any mechanic would re-gear only the rear on a 4WD.

Regards to gearing - 4.10 would be my first choice and give you the most noticeable improvement. 4.56 would probably be too much, and 3.73 wouldn't be very noticeable.

I'd say save the $500 you'd spend on the Blackbear and put it towards your re-gear. Again, I primarily got a Blackbear for my Burb to make it more fun to drive around town (snappier shifts, better throttle response), not for improved towing performance.
Old February 28th, 2018, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HSSMITH22,

did you every regear your burb? If so, how'd it go?
Old March 1st, 2018, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by intheburbs
I'd say so.

My Burb has 155k miles on it, including 20,000 miles of heavy towing all over the country (including the Rockies) since the odo hit 100k. These are trailers weighing at least 7,000 lbs, up to 8600 lbs. Still runs perfectly; original engine and transmission. Like I said, the tune isn't for towing, but it does make it more responsive in everyday driving.

Our latest trailer, 8600 lbs:
Attachment 10230
If that 6.0 gets tired I would put a Duramax LMM in it with a Allison 6 Speed Tranny. Ultimate Tow Rig