Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2014 Suburban Grinding Noise from front of vehicle

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2016, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Suburban Grinding Noise from front of vehicle

Hello. I have a 2014 Suburban with right at 50,000 miles. Roughly half of those miles are interstate miles.

There is a grinding noise, sounds like metal on metal coming from the area I normally associate with the brakes while driving. Also with the window down, and at a slow speed, there is also a clicking that you can't hear with the windows up. The clicking sound sounds more metallic than plastic. The grinding sound is really obvious when turning right, not so much when turning left, and no noise when going straight. The grinding sounds a lot like rotors or brakes, except it isn't doing it when driving straight. I took the front driver side tire off to visually check the pads and rotors. The rotor looks fine on both sides, nice and smooth. There is plenty of pad left also, and I can spin the assembly easily with my hand.

Next I assumed it may be something with the 4WD, so I engaged it and disengaged it at a slow speed on my street, then backed up for close to 100 ft to make sure it disengaged (had that problem on a much older vehicle). It did nothing to change the sounds I am hearing.

Also, this truck has just 2WD, auto, and 4WD on the ****, no 4WD Lo (If it makes a difference)

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this or knows of any TSB that may be related? The only one I have found has something to do with the steering column, but mentions only the 2015 suburban. I am just wondering if it may be a problem on mine, because it also listed the 2014 Silverado in the TSB.

Also, a forum search returned no results, searching for "2014 grinding" or "2014 grind"

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You might check the CV joints because they can start making a clicking noise when they approach the end of life.
Old January 17th, 2016, 8:32 PM
CF Veteran

wheel bearings would be my first thought, jack up the front tires grab them at 12 and 6 o clock positions and see if you can get it to wiggle/rock at all
Old January 19th, 2016, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want to be one of those posters that is one and done. So to update:

I did have play when I jacked it up. Had the hub assembly replaced, bearings went out. At 50,000 miles no less! It's driving good now. Thanks again
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Suburban LT grinding noise from front wheels

Originally Posted by C0Wb0Y19
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want to be one of those posters that is one and done. So to update:

I did have play when I jacked it up. Had the hub assembly replaced, bearings went out. At 50,000 miles no less! It's driving good now. Thanks again
Hello,

I just bought a 2007 Suburban LT 2 weeks ago with 133,000+ miles on it, and now I am hearing the same grinding noise coming from the front. I think it may be the same issue you had. Can you tell me how much it cost for your repairs to give me an idea of what the charges will be?

Thank you.